Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Been trying to get another os besides OS X on my Quad but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work. I get a massive graphical error after install. Have tried Debian 8.7.1 as well as Fedora Server. Both once installed show the attached image.

Having thought it was my quadro I swapped back in the GeForce 6600 back but same result. Oddly enough the artifacting has some of my leopard install background (and that ssd isn't connected). Any help would be appreciated
cc363f0c9e166e4a331ec46832fe7a27.jpg

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Been trying to get another os besides OS X on my Quad but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work. I get a massive graphical error after install. Have tried Debian 8.7.1 as well as Fedora Server. Both once installed show the attached image.

Having thought it was my quadro I swapped back in the GeForce 6600 back but same result. Oddly enough the artifacting has some of my leopard install background (and that ssd isn't connected). Any help would be appreciated
cc363f0c9e166e4a331ec46832fe7a27.jpg
[doublepost=1487395763][/doublepost]Hi there - I have Ubuntu Mate installed on my G5 (sorry do not have experience of Fedora or Debian, though Debian should be similar as its the same/similar base core as Ubuntu).

I had a 7800GTX in the machine originally and was having real issues with that so luckily as I still had the original 6600 I popped that in and it all worked pretty much flawlessly.
The fact the artifacting has Leopard bits in it is beyond strange....from your screenshot that is not a Linux background of course but Leopard so it looks like it's booting into Leopard and not the linux install at all (presumably you have a boot menu - what happens if you select Leopard from there - does it boot in OK?)

Assuming it's a boot issue then have a look at the link below I had to do this on mine to get around boot issues after installation (I also assume booting into the linux live CD works ok?) Good luck with your project its fun to get it working (and a real sense of accomplishment) and I believe with you having a Quad (jealous) will be quite a productive environment - there are some great apps - once you are through the linux install pain barrier ;) https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/sol...tall-flashing-questionmark-g5-powermac/5782/5

Last edited:

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I have unplugged the leopard ssd and simply installed the various distros to another ssd. I tried changing back to the 6600 but the same results. Even tried the reset button on the board. I will try again and unplug and zap pram but this is the strangest behaviour.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
AFAIK From stock Debian does not have the correct Drivers for Nvidia PPC cards I recommend using some up to date distro of ubuntu 16.x as they have the correct drivers and work well with nvidia PPC cards

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Finally managed to install Ubuntu Mate. While the os is speedy my fans are going something fierce. I'm going to play with both drives and see which I prefer.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I recall going down this path w/similar video problems. Kudos on getting Ubuntu Mate running. Please keep us posted on your progress with the fans.

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Finally managed to install Ubuntu Mate. While the os is speedy my fans are going something fierce. I'm going to play with both drives and see which I prefer.
Fans are OK on mine and it steps down to 1.5Ghz when idle/low use and up to 2.3 (according to an applet) when doing something but hardly ever hear the fans running hard unless benchmarking etc.
older Linux versions I know you had to load a module for PM fan control but not needed with the latest versions - good luck with your install - If you want to compare settings or config files with me let me know :)

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Fans are OK on mine and it steps down to 1.5Ghz when idle/low use and up to 2.3 (according to an applet) when doing something but hardly ever hear the fans running hard unless benchmarking etc.
older Linux versions I know you had to load a module for PM fan control but not needed with the latest versions - good luck with your install - If you want to compare settings or config files with me let me know :)

All I was doing was trying out Firefox, I did also go to YouTube and clicked on a video but all I got was a spinning circle fr wen it is trying to load. Noting ever loaded. System itself was quite responsive but I don't need my mac to become a space heater!

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
All I was doing was trying out Firefox, I did also go to YouTube and clicked on a video but all I got was a spinning circle fr wen it is trying to load. Noting ever loaded. System itself was quite responsive but I don't need my mac to become a space heater!
Ok for Youtube you need the VLC browser plugin - then you right click on a youtube video (twice sometimes) and a menu will pop up asking you to play the link in VLC - Playback is flawless :) The spinning on Youtube videos without playing I used to get but strangely they play now in the browsert but playback is much much smoother using the VLC plugin - flash works fine using the opensource substitute that Mate installs by default.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Added the plugin doest seem to work but if I copy the link it opens fine in vlc. Fans still ramp up and down...not entirely sure why

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Added the plugin doest seem to work but if I copy the link it opens fine in vlc. Fans still ramp up and down...not entirely sure why

I'll look at mine tonight and send full details on the VLC plugin - should work faultlessly (installed VLC Browser plugin through Synaptic and then added the VLC Youtube viewer in FF Addons from memory).

Really can't help you with the fans as I don't have that issue and didn't install any special package for that, I assume its not anything to do with your hardware cooling (thermal paste breakdown on the CPU, dust clogged radiator or reduced cooling fluid from very slow leak over time?) as Linux is a modern OS it is feasible it stresses the CPU a little more than 10.5 and may make these potential defects more apparent?
I would start by installing the hardware sensors module and check CPU temp to compare against whatever you would expect the therms of a Quad to be.

Will post later with the VLC info :)

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines

Here you go - hope this works for you - actually I have not installed the VLC-Browser-PLugin from Synaptic I just added the following extension into Firefox (Don't know why the first image loaded twice...) :-

VLCExtension.png
VLCExtension.png
VLC Browser Menu.png
VLCPLAYER.png

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Seems to work but playback is set to a full window

_____

Also some videos don't play and I get an error in vlc

Last edited:

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Seems to work but playback is set to a full window

_____

Also some videos don't play and I get an error in vlc

You can solve the full window by going through VLC settings.

Re the other problem - apologies - I don't use the PM much (it's not my main machine, more of a hobby) I tried several Youtube videos and yes, I also found some that gave an error... I think it may be linked to this which affects all O/S apparently when playing YT through VLC - http://tricksnow.com/how-to-watch-youtube-videos-on-vlc-without-any-errors/ and will try tonight (copying the .lua file into the VLC directory).

Last edited:

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
You can solve the full window by going through VLC settings.

Re the other problem - apologies - I don't use the PM much (it's not my main machine, more of a hobby) I tried several Youtube videos and yes, I also found some that gave an error... I think it may be linked to this which affects all O/S apparently when playing YT through VLC - http://tricksnow.com/how-to-watch-youtube-videos-on-vlc-without-any-errors/ and will try tonight (copying the .lua file into the VLC directory).

Update - Yep above is correct happens on all o/s with this plugin - fix detailed here - read review "Does what its supposed to" for details of how to fix.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vlc-youtube-shortcut/?src=search

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Does anyone know how to make a quadro 4500 work? It's a shame to not run it

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Does anyone know how to make a quadro 4500 work? It's a shame to not run it
I want this also - alas all my attempts have failed so far as I have a Firmware hacked 7800GTX, using my 6600 currently which is fine but yes such a waste to not use it.
I think it is possible but you need commands around the ports and 'ghost ports' to tell Linux exactly which output is being used (for this card it seems Nouveau is unable to tell automatically.
If you figure it out I would be very interested but for now cannot be bothered to look much further into it right now.

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines

topbanana_

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2017
Manila, Philippines
As you can see from my new thread ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/7800gtx-fx4500-working-in-ubuntu-mate.2035433/ ) its now working after updates and I have my 7800GTX now running well in Ubuntu Mate :)

Login screen is garbled still but once you type in your password its fine so will let you know if I find out how to get around that small remaining issue and please likewise if you get around this would be keen to hear how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.