Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumoncpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Dhaka
The most widely used across the industry would be the Adobe Creative Suite. There are other, less expensive, options like Affinity's software.
Thank you for this someone tell me photoshop is the best. What are you think about it?

Idun098TZZ

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2021
Hi,
so, Adobe Suite is a giant in the industry but there are way more valid options like Affinity or also CorelDraw.
Mostly depends on your needs and what you want to do. As for photo editing, Lightroom is better than Photoshop(in my opinion) but with photoshop you can have more control over certain things like photomanipulation/posters/covers... So depends. Which aspect do you wanna improve?

Last edited:
Reactions: SigEp265

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
What the best software is for "Design & Graphics" depends largely on what you are designing. The best hammer made is a very poor choice when you need to remove a screw or when you need to cut a board in half.

While good "graphics suites" (e.g. Adobe CC, the Affinity apps, ...) are great for designing graphics for print and computer display, they are hopeless for designing things like buildings and monuments. Even Photoshop, as great as it is at its primary tasks, is a poor choice for logo design, for which a vector drawing tool (Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Corel DRAW!, ...) is vastly superior. And if you want/need to design a font, not just use existing ones, then you need an appropriate special "tool".

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I second that the Adobe suite is pretty much industry standard, and the Affinity apps are pretty good. If you're running Mac and/or iPad, look into Pixelmator. All should have free trials.

However, I also agree that you should provide more detail on what you want/need to do. Do you do photography, vector graphics, web design, something else? What you plan to do, as well as how you work, will dictate which app you'll need.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I think best bang for your buck is the Affinity apps. They are not replacements for Adobe CC in my opinion but they are tremendous value for what you pay and are feature rich. They do have 30 day demos so best is to download all 3 and play around. Adobe is not a hobbyist suite unless you have money to burn for something you will not know how to use even a fraction of what the software is capable. Affinity is a one time payment and you are good forever, Adobe is never ending subscription. This is not a bad thing for me, but not generally something for someone who does not make their living with the software.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I think best bang for your buck is the Affinity apps. They are not replacements for Adobe CC in my opinion but they are tremendous value for what you pay and are feature rich....
I agree. If you are working "solo", the Affinity "suite" (3 individual apps) can handle just about any design/production tasks, other than those that require specialized tools, and can do them from far less money (read: perpetual licenses for all 3 for about the same price as a year's subscription to AdobeCC). The only thing lacking is perfect interchange with other workers using CC apps.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I agree. If you are working "solo", the Affinity "suite" (3 individual apps) can handle just about any design/production tasks, other than those that require specialized tools, and can do them from far less money (read: perpetual licenses for all 3 for about the same price as a year's subscription to AdobeCC). The only thing lacking is perfect interchange with other workers using CC apps.
Working solo Affinity should be enough for most users. I would never count on Affinity integrating well with Adobe, too many issues can come when conversion happens and already does when people try to use IDML files in Publisher. If you need to collaborator and work with people using the industry standard Adobe CC then I would stay use Adobe. If you don't need that and all the functions and features Affinity has works for you it is definitely easier on the pocket book.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
If one is new using graphic design software, get a copy of Adobe Creative Suite that works on your computer.
a copy of these can be found on eBay and many a local app ad were CS5 is affordable.
they feature tutorials and are easier to use than Affinity, Krita and other web download software.

just remember the most important aspect of design starts from the mind of the creator.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
If one is new using graphic design software, get a copy of Adobe Creative Suite that works on your computer.
a copy of these can be found on eBay and many a local app ad were CS5 is affordable.
they feature tutorials and are easier to use than Affinity, Krita and other web download software.

just remember the most important aspect of design starts from the mind of the creator.
I would look for CS6 if looking for an old version of the Adobe Suite. CS6 was the last version you could buy a perpetual license for. After that it was CC. Affinity is a great option for home users not making a living or needing to collaborate with the software.

Reactions: MBAir2010

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I would look for CS6 if looking for an old version of the Adobe Suite. CS6 was the last version you could buy a perpetual license for. After that it was CC. Affinity is a great option for home users not making a living or needing to collaborate with the software.
I don’t think CS6 works past Mojave. But this is exactly what I did. I still have Adobe CS5 master suite from college. I will never update my macs! Haha

Reactions: MBAir2010

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I don’t think CS6 works past Mojave. But this is exactly what I did. I still have Adobe CS5 master suite from college. I will never update my macs! Haha
I believe Illustrator and Photoshop in CS6 were 64 bit apps, they have more potential in running on a new system. Indesign did not get the 64 bit update till CC came out.

Holding on to CS5 might be ok for personal use, personally I would look at Affinity to replace Adobe for home/non collaborative use. You get the benefit of faster apps for modern OS's and will be able to upgrade your computer and not living day to day hoping your Mac will not come to the end of its life.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I believe Illustrator and Photoshop in CS6 were 64 bit apps, they have more potential in running on a new system. ...
I seem to remember that while several of the CS6 apps were 64 bit, the installer wasn't. Users that had installed the apps on an earlier MacOS and then upgraded to a non-32bit compliant OS could still run the apps but the apps couldn't be installed after the OS upgrade.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
For Adobe CS6, besides the 64bit requirement, there is an issue with APFS formatted volumes. I recommend running the perpetual license version of Adobe CS6 on a HFS+ partition or to use Adobe CC on APFS. Though manageable, HFS+ is not supported under macOS 10.14.x Mojave and needs some additional tweaks to get installed since macOS 10.13.x High Sierra.

When it comes to installation on an only 64bit macOS, you'll need to bypass the GUI installer and run the UNIX executable directly.

Trying to answer the OP's question: The best graphics design software is always the app that will best fit to your needs and supports your workflow. Often, there's not a single app, but a whole toolset of many apps to get a job done. I think Serif Affinity apps became a great alternative to the famous Adobe Creative Cloud apps as a base toolset for many different tasks in graphics design. For a completely free toolset, I recommend to have a look at Krita and Gimp as a Photoshop replacement. An alternative to Illustrator is Inkscape, though it isn't completely ready for cmyk, yet. For Layout purposes, Scribus can be used instead of InDesign. With this FOSS setup, you'll not only be able to output a valid PDF standard that satisfies the demands of most professional printing services and to publish PDF for digital media, but you'll also get most image related things done. If you extend the meaning of graphics design to the 3D space, to animation and video graphics, then you should dig into the great Blender app. Another free app is FontForge to deal with typography. Of course, there are also many fantastic commercial tools you can discover and integrate into your workflow. Keep in mind that a sheet of paper and a pencil will often be the fastest, most direct route from your idea to a result in graphics design. For the purpose of design, software quite often is just like an advanced modern sheet and pen.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I seem to remember that while several of the CS6 apps were 64 bit, the installer wasn't. Users that had installed the apps on an earlier MacOS and then upgraded to a non-32bit compliant OS could still run the apps but the apps couldn't be installed after the OS upgrade.
Pretty sure you are right, the 64 bit update came later and I doubt they updated the installer. So would need to be installed and updated before hand if moving to a 64 bit only OS.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
I believe Illustrator and Photoshop in CS6 were 64 bit apps, they have more potential in running on a new system. Indesign did not get the 64 bit update till CC came out.

Holding on to CS5 might be ok for personal use, personally I would look at Affinity to replace Adobe for home/non collaborative use. You get the benefit of faster apps for modern OS's and will be able to upgrade your computer and not living day to day hoping your Mac will not come to the end of its life.
Oh I have the full Affinity suite and many others. But sometimes I go back to my adobe suite when I need something done fast / need illustratior trace for a vector. Vector Magic is a great alternative but I don’t want to pay for it monthly.

leesophia104

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
Hi,

Adobe Photoshop is the best graphic design software. Photoshop is your go-to app for creating pixel-based images for print, web, and mobile apps. You can correct exposure and color balance, crop and straighten images, change the colors in your photograph, remove blemishes from a portrait, and combine multiple images into a new scene with powerful editing tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.