Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
I was trying to replace the graphics card on my 2009 mac pro 5,1 desktop. The new graphics card is an MSI RX 580 8gb, which is supposed to fit. I couldn't get it to fit into the slot, and even worse, while trying it got stuck on the motherboard. I can't get it out. As you can see from the brackets on the right in the photo below, it's not lined properly and the card is not installed in the slot. But it's stuck. I can't get it out.

Any help on how to remove and install would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_033910936_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210920_033910936_HDR.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 577

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I was trying to replace the graphics card on my 2009 mac pro 5,1 desktop. The new graphics card is an MSI RX 580 8gb, which is supposed to fit. I couldn't get it to fit into the slot, and even worse, while trying it got stuck on the motherboard. I can't get it out. As you can see from the brackets on the right in the photo below, it's not lined properly and the card is not installed in the slot. But it's stuck. I can't get it out.

Any help on how to remove and install would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dumb question but are you moving the metal "bar" to the left? The graphics card clips on this....

AngelThMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
There's a button on the gray PCI fan ; you have to press it and move the whole fan to the left to get access to the PCI cards and GPU.
After installing slide the fan back to the right.
You're a life saver. That worked like a charm, both removing the card and installing it properly. Weirdly, there are several tutorials on YouTube on how to replace the GPU, and none mention this important grey button. I nearly broke my computer trying to fit it in. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: KeesMacPro

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Mac Pro 1,1 to 3,1 models have a plastic tab at the end of the PCIe connector that prevents the removal of the card. It might not have been an issue with the short single-slot cards that originally shipped with the Macs. But it is impossible to access if the Mac Pro has multiple long or double-width cards.

I simply removed the tab.
PCI Express X16 Connector type-345:5.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.