Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GAS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I am thinking of buying a Mac Pro for the simple reason that later on I can upgrade it with virtually everything. But I have been reading that I can't take any graphics card for a normal pc and put it in the Mac Pro. Is this true?

Carrot007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yorkshire
I am thinking of buying a Mac Pro for the simple reason that later on I can upgrade it with virtually everything. But I have been reading that I can't take any graphics card for a normal pc and put it in the Mac Pro. Is this true?

Well you can physically do it or course however to be of use it need drivers to work so yes you need a mac card.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
You can put any card in but you can only use it in windows. Only Mac cards work in OSX.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Ask Apple.

Unlike windows which has support for almost every graphics card under the sun, OSX only supports a few and so can be more stable than windows. Less diversity means it's easier to keep things stable.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Ask Apple.

Unlike windows which has support for almost every graphics card under the sun, OSX only supports a few and so can be more stable than windows. Less diversity means it's easier to keep things stable.

Ask the PC graphic card manufacturers. Any PC card manufacturer could write graphic card drivers for their cards and create a MacOS graphic card Bios for their cards. ATI does. Why don't they? They're just lazy.

tonyc1981

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2007
Hi Everyone~:apple:
Does NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 fit with Mac Pro?
I check NVIDIA's official website, I found it has driver for "X86"
Does that mean if I bought a FX 4500 from internet, then I could DIY install the graphics card at home?:confused:
FX4500.png

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Does NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 fit with Mac Pro?

Only if you buy the Mac version from Apple.

I check NVIDIA's official website, I found it has driver for "X86"

Sorry, Macs run OS X, not Solaris. ;) x86 is the instruction set that most Intel and AMD chips use. (As opposed to Sparc, PPC, etc.)

Does that mean if I bought a FX 4500 from internet, then I could DIY install the graphics card at home?:confused:

No. Anyway that card is really expensive and actually gets worse performance in many games than the X1900. It's only for certain specialized apps.

--Eric

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
From what I've been told, the retail X1900 for G5 will only work in PCI-E G5's and not in Mac Pro's, due to the lack of EFI support. (Plus it's only 256MB.)

I've read that it's possible to flash a PC X1900 XT (not crossfire) for use in a Mac Pro, but I've never done it -- my card is an Apple OEM.

You can also check eBay -- every week or so, there's usually an OEM x1900 512MB for Mac Pro for sale for around $200-250

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Can anyone tell me "Does every ATI Radeon X1900 Series run with Mac and PC" or it just has some special series for Mac? I really need this information.
Thanx la:rolleyes:

Cards of ALL types built for "normal" PCs have BIOS boot rooms. Macs use EFI not BIOS so these cards do not get initialised in Mac OSX. Windows initialises the card are it is booting under BIOS emulation in EFI.

EFI is the modern up-to-date replacement for BIOS. Without it we would not have the Mac niceties of target disk mode, USB and Firewire booting with a nice graphical chooser etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.