Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophertin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Geniuses,

I have a question, and I'm hoping someone can help me with it.

Up until a few weeks ago I still had a G4 933 Mhz, that was powering two Samsung monitors: a Syncmaster 213T at 1600 x 1200 via the ADC port (through an ADC to DVI converter), and a secondary Syncmaster 710MP at 1280 x 1024 through the VGA output. Everything was fine and dandy.

Then, a few weeks ago, I bought my friend's old G5 DP 2.5 Ghz. I tried connecting my monitors again; this time powering the 213T through the ADC port (using the same ADC to DVI converter), and the 710MP through the DVI port (using a DVI to VGA adaptor). Now I'm getting video problems.

The secondary monitor (the one going through the DVI to VGA adaptor) works fine. However, the primary one flickers and twitches quite a bit; and when I try to play video files on it, it really goes to town. Even when I unplug the secondary monitor, it still twitches.

Anyone know what's going on here?

A few more hints:

1) When I initially connected the monitors, the primary one was twitching like mad until I opened up the Displays control panel, which showed that there were actually TWO refresh settings at 60 Hz. I switched to the other one, and it seemed to calm down the monitor a fair bit, but there are still twitching problems nevertheless. Now, Displays only gives me one option for refresh, at 60 Hz.

2) If I use the 213T alone and plug it directly into the DVI output (using no adaptors), it works fine.

3) If I switch the 213T to 1280 x 1024, it works fine....but meh.

4) As of this morning, I'm on OS 10.4.4

I would have thought that, if anything, a G5's stock video card would be more powerful than an old G4 Quicksilver's. So why is this happening?

Thanks, geniuses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.