Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all, hope well. You guys being in this field, I thought I'd get some thoughts from you.

I need and app that can take an image of pretty much any format, (must be able to process/open the following);
.ico
.icns
.svr
.png
.bmp

I'd like to be able to do something as simple as open for example a 1920x1080.png screenshot image and have the app ask me what format then what size, (for example 800x600), format it is to be converted to etc etc.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers.

Reactions: splifingate

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
.svr? Isn't that a 3D format? No image editor will open that. Or do you mean .svg?

All of those can be opened and edited in PhotoLine (but not .svr, of course).

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
.svr? Isn't that a 3D format? No image editor will open that. Or do you mean .svg?

All of those can be opened and edited in PhotoLine (but not .svr, of course).
Sorry, yes. Temporary memory lapse.
I'll give photoline look - thanlkyou.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
If you are looking for a nearly complete professional experience, I'd suggest you give affinity designer a try, similar to indesign and illustrator for a flat fee.

Reactions: splifingate

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
If you are looking for a nearly complete professional experience, I'd suggest you give affinity designer a try, similar to indesign and illustrator for a flat fee.
Not specifically no, but funny you should say that I'd been checking that app periodilally and hadn't yet purchased due to lack of a DAM. I'll take another look see.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Designer is supposed to compete with Illustrator, Photo with Photoshop and Publisher with Indesign. Great apps for the price.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Designer is supposed to compete with Illustrator, Photo with Photoshop and Publisher with Indesign. Great apps for the price.
Thank you for the clarification, I don't use mine that often =). But it sure is nice to know that they are on my computer and not bleeding me slowly every month.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
You can also do all this in the standard Preview app.
Yes, I saw a few new functionds in Preview. I tend to try and use other apps. After seeing how Preview does things to PDFs that mean it's not compatible with business standards I stopped using it so much, (even though it often gives better renders).
Also it's more limited than some other 3rd options.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, I saw a few new functionds in Preview. I tend to try and use other apps. After seeing how Preview does things to PDFs that mean it's not compatible with business standards I stopped using it so much, (even though it often gives better renders).
Also it's more limited than some other 3rd options.
To be fair, this has been a feature of Preview for many years. Also graphics formats are a bit different than PDFs so it's not something to really be leery of here.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
To be fair, this has been a feature of Preview for many years. Also graphics formats are a bit different than PDFs so it's not something to really be leery of here.
Yeah I get that, but I just want one thing that works.

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
There are several apps available that can do this, but here are a few of my recommendations:

XnConvert
Gimp
IrfanView

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
There are several apps available that can do this, but here are a few of my recommendations:

XnConvert
Gimp
IrfanView
I'll take a look at those too thankyou. Apart from Gimp. Not sure why but there's something about it I never liked.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'd like to be able to do something as simple as open for example a 1920x1080.png screenshot image and have the app ask me what format then what size, (for example 800x600), format it is to be converted to etc etc.
The specific use case of opening .png, converting to a smaller size then exporting to (say) .jpg can be done with "Preview" which is already installed on your Mac. It might do everything you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.