Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I'm currently running a Late 2010 2.13GHz 13" MacBook Air - beautiful machine. However, I've just began encountering a massive issue.

When I boot the MacBook up normally it works flawlessly. Everything is silky smooth and works the way it should. However, when I put the MacBook to sleep, and subsequently wake it up again, the graphics (and come to think of it, the computer in general) is significantly choppier and slower than it was before the computer went in to sleep. I've run the AHT and nothing shows. I've reinstalled various versions of OS X and the same issues arise.

Any idea on what this could be? Could it be a voltage regulator issue?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I'm currently running a Late 2010 2.13GHz 13" MacBook Air - beautiful machine. However, I've just began encountering a massive issue.

When I boot the MacBook up normally it works flawlessly. Everything is silky smooth and works the way it should. However, when I put the MacBook to sleep, and subsequently wake it up again, the graphics (and come to think of it, the computer in general) is significantly choppier and slower than it was before the computer went in to sleep. I've run the AHT and nothing shows. I've reinstalled various versions of OS X and the same issues arise.

Any idea on what this could be? Could it be a voltage regulator issue?

Thanks in advance guys.

If the MacBook has been asleep for an hour or two, it will enter what's called hibernation in Windows, i.e., the contents of the memory gets saved to disk and the computer turns off. When you wake the MacBook up again, it has to gradually read the memory contents back from disk. This will cause it to be somewhat "crunchy" for a variable amount of time, from maybe a few seconds to a minute or two. Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If the MacBook has been asleep for an hour or two, it will enter what's called hibernation in Windows, i.e., the contents of the memory gets saved to disk and the computer turns off. When you wake the MacBook up again, it has to gradually read the memory contents back from disk. This will cause it to be somewhat "crunchy" for a variable amount of time, from maybe a few seconds to a minute or two. Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

Nope - even if it's asleep for 20/30 seconds the same thing happens.

When I put the Mac through Geekbench after turning it on it benches 2500 every time. Then, after putting it through the same test after waking it from sleep it only benches 1000.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Nope - even if it's asleep for 20/30 seconds the same thing happens.

When I put the Mac through Geekbench after turning it on it benches 2500 every time. Then, after putting it through the same test after waking it from sleep it only benches 1000.

Maybe run Activity Monitor and try to figure out which programs are using your CPU time (if any).

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Just an update - I've solved the issue. My battery was dead (probably should've mentioned this in my OP, although I didn't see how the two were related at the time).

Today I swapped the battery out, et voila! Everything is back to full speed. I guess due to the fact these machines are relatively new, not many of these batteries have conked out yet, explaining why there's not a lot of info on the net about it.

Dead MacBook Air battery = issues with sleep/power management. For future reference!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.