Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterlingholobyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
Hello, don't know if this is the proper place to ask this. I should probably ask on a tablet forum as well, but just thought I would try here.

Anyway, I am shopping around for a graphics tablet and I thought I had found some, but on most of the tablets i am interested in, it is always only compatible with OS 10.12 or above. Surely there must have been graphics tablets around when version 10.11 was around. Why can't I find one that would work with that? I know it probably has something to do with the drivers that you have to download for them, but still, aren't there any old drivers I could use?

If you are wondering why I just don't update my OS, well, I can't, since I am on an old 2009 iMac and anything beyond El Capitan is not compatible with that iMac.

Is there a way around this that doesn't involve buying a whole new iMac?

Sterlingholobyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
**Update**
Nevermind. For some reason I was able to find some half-way decent graphics tablets that were compatible with my OS version. Why they didn't show up before in my Amazon searches that I have been doing for weeks is beyond me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Even the latest iPad currently will work with El Capitan. That does mean that you need to make sure that you have iTunes version 12.8, which is what you use for syncing to devices, and other management tasks, such as restoring to factory, etc.
iTunes is what you would use to manage an iPad before macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
Looking at the tech specs (System requirements) for the newest iPad (iPad Air) shows this:
Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 10 and iTunes 12.12 or later (free download from itunes.com/download)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.