Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
With what app can i make graphics that have motion, so i can place them on a webpage?
Once Upon a time Flash could do this with great ability... now what do i use?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
You can code it with CSS or create an animated .gif with photoshop among other programs. I’m sure there are other methods. It depends on what you’re trying to achieve.

Reactions: yitwail

Idun098TZZ

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2021
Adobe has specific software for animation, Adobe Animation. You can get a try at that one if you already have the suite. Or there are for sure more software out there, even coding can be a possibility

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Maybe Tumult Hype fits your needs, it's a bit like a reduced Adobe Flash/Animate but for HTML5.
Two frameworks to animate typography are animate.css and cssanimation.
Another interesting full blown animation framework for web devs is GreenSock's GSAP.
If you're looking for a special effect or a transition, there are dozens of ready to use animations and frameworks on the net.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Adobe XD is often confused for a website or app authoring app - but it is meant for prototyping only.

Flash is replaced by HTML5 animations, which can be generated with SVG, CSS, Javascript or a combination of two or three.

Adobe rebranded Flash to Animate CC, and implemented a HTML5 animation output option. It is still Flash, though. Web animations are quite simple to do in Animate CC.

For Mac only Tumult Hype is also a good alternative: https://tumult.com/hype/

Another good options is Saola Animate. Available for both Mac and Windows.

All of these sport animation timelines and keying of properties.

Another method is output to HTML5 Canvas. Godot is perhaps more complex (since it is a game authoring tool) but it also features a fully functional animation timeline, and allows for far more complex interactive behaviour - making it possible to create fully interactive 3d environments, if need be. For free (it is open source).

Unity is similar to Godot in that regard, and can also be used for output to HTML5 Canvas.

For 2d visual programming and animations with timelines, another alternative is Construct 3.

I mention Godot, Unity, and Construct here because Flash was (and still is) often used for online interactive game experiences as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: organicCPU

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
With what app can i make graphics that have motion, so i can place them on a webpage?
Once Upon a time Flash could do this with great ability... now what do i use?
That's an obscenely long list. There are tons of apps that can create "motion graphics." As long as you can someone save/export those motion graphics in a format supported by browsers, it doesn't really matter what app you use.

There are so many that I don't want to spend the time to list the ones I know about here. Adobe makes several, Apple makes several, and there are probably hundreds upon hundreds of third-party apps. Heck, you could actually use Apple's Keynote app for simple animation and export it as a video to be placed on a webpage.

It just depends on your level of experience using them as to which ones are best for you.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
If you're looking to make animations that are responsive on the web, you're better off learning HTML5.
That's going to enable basic moves, rotates, fading... that kinda stuff.

If you're want something that's more like a video or animated GIF on a website (anything output as frames... which can also work on the web – you've seen Apple use this too as you scroll down a page and it essentially scrubs through a video's timeline), then I would suggest looking into Adobe After Effects. The great thing about After Effects is that there's no ceiling to how exacting or precise you can be or the nature of the animations. It's what professionals in movies, commercials, and TV show intros, etc. use to do their animations (in addition to 3D software). It's the Photoshop of motion.

Animate is the modern day version of Flash, but unfortunately there hasn't really been a true successor to Flash. You can do the same animations in Animate, so they'll look just as good in your Animate software editor, but there is no universal .SWF format that can play on all web browsers anymore.

It's really too bad. I started design in Flash and it was amazing how much one designer could do, with so much fidelity, without code. We're about 15 years after Flash was a thing and no websites can do now what Flash could do back then.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Animate is the modern day version of Flash, but unfortunately there hasn't really been a true successor to Flash. You can do the same animations in Animate, so they'll look just as good in your Animate software editor, but there is no universal .SWF format that can play on all web browsers anymore.

It's really too bad. I started design in Flash and it was amazing how much one designer could do, with so much fidelity, without code. We're about 15 years after Flash was a thing and no websites can do now what Flash could do back then.

Conversely, Flash SWF files were a disaster for accessibility, a closed proprietary binary format that required a proprietary player, did/do not adapt well to various screen sizes, was dreadful for content management, and allowed designers to eschew commonly accepted UX usability norms.

But I do agree it was great for (interactive) animations. :)
(And it could do things with video that are still not possible in html5).

That said, let's not idealize Flash: html5 can do 99% of what Flash could do at the time. And Flash tech is missing a LOT that is now possible in html5 (such as full hardware accelerated 3d and easy responsive screen behaviour).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.