Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Why would mainstream users ever be expected to be comfortable with radical change of every release?

If you're implying this of Android I don't believe there has been a radical change every release. The UI had a colour change but layout has pretty much remained the same for a longtime.

The biggest change would be from Gingerbread to ICS and I wouldn't call it "radical".

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Should have got a Galaxy Nexus. It's pure Android, which in my opinion is a lot nicer then that of the Android with all these company based themes.

I mostly agree, with a couple exceptions.

I've got a Galaxy S3 - still on the stock ROM, but I've got the Nova launcher (has most Jelly Bean launcher features like auto-shifting icons, etc). This removes the main thing I didn't like about Samsung's TouchWiz (the launcher) but keeps things like the Samsung calendar app which I find way superior to the standard Android calendar as well as apps like Jorte and others, and the Samsung contacts/dialer with features like lift-to-ear auto-dial.

So while I'm not a fan of heavy skinning, I appreciate the couple of better apps Samsung provides.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Totally agree. That's exactly my feeling on the S3. Samsung have done a good job on the software. They've added nice features on top of Android and the only piece I didn't like was the launcher. I use Apex (almost the same as Nova) and kept everything else. No custom rom, no rooting.

I mostly agree, with a couple exceptions.

I've got a Galaxy S3 - still on the stock ROM, but I've got the Nova launcher (has most Jelly Bean launcher features like auto-shifting icons, etc). This removes the main thing I didn't like about Samsung's TouchWiz (the launcher) but keeps things like the Samsung calendar app which I find way superior to the standard Android calendar as well as apps like Jorte and others, and the Samsung contacts/dialer with features like lift-to-ear auto-dial.

So while I'm not a fan of heavy skinning, I appreciate the couple of better apps Samsung provides.

sleek881

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Totally agree. That's exactly my feeling on the S3. Samsung have done a good job on the software. They've added nice features on top of Android and the only piece I didn't like was the launcher. I use Apex (almost the same as Nova) and kept everything else. No custom rom, no rooting.

Me too, I use Nova as I don't really like the stock Launcher(TouchWiz). Cant do without the calendar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.