Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-sky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I read and read and read thru tons of threads looking for a case. What I ended up ordering was the Zip-Around leather portfolio case from HD Accessory and love it! Here is my review:

Pros:
a. Leather protfolio style that has solid feel to the entire case and feel my iPad is safe when tucked inside. No brand or other markings on outside. Nice, professional looking.

b. Zipper that encloses all sides when closed. I do not worry about stray things going into the docking port or sliding between the cover and scratching my iPad.

c. Pocket "flap" on the inside cover to store papers.

d. iPad is held in place by two solid corner leather straps and two straps with elastic and leather for easy insertion/removal. I feel the iPad is very secure when in place, but super easy to remove and insert in seconds.

e. Cover flips all the way back for one-handed holding and laying "flat" or can be set on its side to form a "V" allowing the iPad to "stand" up on own.

f. PRICE! $12.95! I ended up getting the Combo which also included a Screen Protector and Stylus for only $19.95.

Cons:

a. It was smaller than I expected because it fits the iPad and not like other portfolios I've used that are larger than a pad of paper. However, I have used it for two weeks now feel it is the perfect size.

b. Zipper was a little stiff at first, but moves smoothly now. Also, when in case, the sides cover up buttons so you have to "feel" for them to use them or peel to side the zipper half. Not a problem for me, but took a few times to get used to it.

c. Inside pocket is small, but holds a folded piece of paper or two easily. I store my cleaning cloth flat behind the iPad and is easy to retrieve.

d. No secure tabs or options to have iPad held upright or in typing position. I do just flip it on side to have case form a "V" and that has worked well for me to prop it up to watch videos, etc.

Overall, I just wanted a nice portfolio and found it here. The screen protector that came with the package deal has been great and I am thrilled to have such a nice, professional-looking case to carry my iPad at such a reasonable (some may say cheap) price.

I hope my review is helpful to others looking for something like this.

Here is the webpage description: http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/the-3110/Apple-iPad-W-dsh-Fi-WiFi/Detail

Attachments

• ZipAround-black.jpg
    ZipAround-black.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 188

amazonpam

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Another HD user

I originally bought mine while I waited for the dust to settle around some of the more popular cases here on macrumors. I also wanted a case to put on once I opened the box. Other than the fact that mine is not real leather (I really didn't expect it to be for that price), I'm quite satisfied and will probably wait for this one to wear out before Buying a new one. I got the Business leather acrylic case, by the way.

While it does stand in landscape mode, I'm typing on it now. This model doesn't have a good low position for typing since it lies almost flat. But for $15.00 I'm making do.

arrie25

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
i am very crazy about ipod accessories..recently i bought ipod and i am looking for best and expensive leather case that gives my phone a stylish and fshionable look

r-sky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I have looking at this one. Can you take a picture of the inside with your iPad in it. I haven't found any pictures of the inside.

Thanks

I don't have a camera easily available to take the pics right now (at work), but the ones from the web site are exactly what it looks like inside. I pasted them below. Inside is soft velvet lining, along with the tab for inserting paper on one side. There is a nice elastic band in the middle of the inside spine for a small pen/pencil. The outside tabs to hold the iPad in place are permanent tabbed edges, while inside are two elastic bands that stretch to hold the iPad in snugly and no movement once it is strapped in. (Takes me less than 10 seconds to put it in or remove it.)

I've had mine for over a month now and very pleased with it. I tuck my iPad in this case during the week while traveling to-and-from work. Then I take it out on the weekends and use a shell back for some protection. Again, as I noted in my review, it is smaller than I originally expected. For whatever reason, even after seeing the pics, I had in my mind it would be the size of a pad of paper. It is smaller than that, but perfect for the iPad.

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Inside-2.jpg
    Inside-2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 89

r-sky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I'm concerned about that zipper scratching the iPad...Could you give us some feedback on that?

Interesting question - I had not considered it being scratched by the zipper.
Just looked at mine and did not see any scratches.

The parts that zips (the teeth) is plastic and there is cloth holding the teeth. The "zipper" used to actually zip is metal. Overall the zipper is a snug fit, so I find I naturally pull away from the case as I zip in order to close or open. I suppose it could scratch, but I've been using it for over a month now. Looking at it closely, and not having been aware of this potential hazard, I see that the zipper has not scratched my iPad.

I will be more careful now when zipping and hope this helps you out when consider this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.