Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I stumbled upon a great way to add USB-C ports to my 2013 Mac Pro. In summary - buy a CalDigit TS3 Dock !!! I got the CalDigit TS3 as a dock for my 2016 MacBook Pro which connects via Thunderbolt 3 cable (not USB-C as they are different cables). I purchased an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter so that I could use target disk mode to transfer all my data from the MacBook Pro over to the Mac Pro (which worked great). By the way Apple's adapter is bi-directional, meaning you can use the adapter to go either way (TB2 to TB3 or vice-versa). When I was done using the adapter for file transfer I thought, hmm I wonder what would happen if I plugged the CalDigit into the Mac Pro through the adapter. The CalDigit TS3 is a Thunderbolt 3 Dock so I wasn't sure it would work at all or maybe act squirrely. Well I can report that it works perfect connected to the 2013 Mac Pro using the genuine Apple Thunderbolt adapter and a genuine Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable. The CalDigit TS3 has lots of USB-C ports and all of them work great! I can plug in my iPadPro using the USB-C cable and it works great. My SanDisk USB-C SSD works great too. Now do keep in mind I am obviously getting the lowest common denominator bandwidth (Thunderbolt 2). BUT - it's much faster than connecting these devices over the USB3 ports built into the Mac Pro. So in summary, I highly recommend the CalDigit TS3 as a fantastic companion to the 2013 Mac Pro. What a great way to add the more modern USB-C ports to this older model computer!!

Cal-Digit-Mac-Pro.jpg

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
You actually don't even need that. There are a lot of USB-A to USB-C cables out there for around $5. I use them all the time to connect USB-C accessories with my 2009.

You'll be capped at the speed of the USB port, USB3 is 5 gbps, which is the same speed as what that dock provides.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Yes I have several USB-A to USB-C cables however there are many USB-C accessories with male cables that are not removable and it's very nice to have female USB-C ports available. BTW, my 12" iPad Pro will not show that it's charging plugged into the Mac Pro with those A-C cables but it does show charging when connected to the CalDigit via USB-C. The CalDigit has one specially marked 10Gb/s USB-C port on the back. The other ports are 5GB/s. Another nice addition is that I can confirm that all other other docking features work as well so you get an SD Card reader, full size Display Port, Ethernet, Headphone, Mic, and 5 more USB3 ports.

Does anyone know if there is a USB-A to USB-C hub that provides female USB-C ports? I have never seen one... And there are no Thunderbolt 2 docks that offer USB-C ports either. So I think our only option is a Thunderbolt 3 dock connected to the 2013 Mac Pro using the Apple T3 to T3 adapter if you want a solution that gets you as close as possible to actually having USB-C ports on the Mac Pro. I know there are other brands/models of T3 docks that are less expensive than the CalDigit. I went with the CalDigit because I wanted a high quality dock that would be reliable and this one is built like a tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theophilos

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
this also works if you have a Promise Pegasus 3 Raid with USB C and attach it with the Apple Adapter to the TB2 ports. You only get one USB C port, but yea.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I've used a similar setup to boot from a Thunderbolt 3 drive with that Apple adapter and this Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 dock: https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-DisplayPort/dp/B01DYFHYNS

It has less ports and doesn't support charging (not needed connected to a desktop) but it's cheaper. Worked great so I could easily swap the drive from Mac Pro to a MacBook Pro (with a small internal drive) to have the same setup as my desktop when traveling.

RuffOne

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, I'd like to do the same thing so I can hook up my Oculus, but I don't understand how you hooked up the thunderbolt 2 cable to the back of the CalDigit. Could you post a picture of the back please? Also tell me the exact adapter cables I would need. Thank you!

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, I'd like to do the same thing so I can hook up my Oculus, but I don't understand how you hooked up the thunderbolt 2 cable to the back of the CalDigit. Could you post a picture of the back please? Also tell me the exact adapter cables I would need. Thank you!

You just need the Apple TB to TB3 adaptor and a Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Attachments

• 73D9BE43-C167-458D-A57C-39661C3D5786.jpeg
    73D9BE43-C167-458D-A57C-39661C3D5786.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 534
  • 54E092FC-12DA-4633-B874-A8E74885AFB7.jpeg
    54E092FC-12DA-4633-B874-A8E74885AFB7.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 812

Rob81

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
@w4rmk I'm struggling to get my iMac12,2 (2012) connected to my MacBook 12" (2015) in order to boot my iMac with my MacBook via Target Disk Mode. I really need to have the boot option because of an hardware issue. For Target Disk Mode, my iMac only supports a Thunderbolt or Firewire connection and my MacBook only USB-C. Unfortunately, my MacBook's USB-C connection is not compatible with TB3 (only MacBook Pro), so I cannot use the TB to TB3 adapter with a TB2 cable. I could connect the iMac and MacBook through an ethernet cable, with a TB-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter for the iMac and a USB-C-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter for the MacBook, but this is only for file sharing. As soon as you reboot, the connection is lost. My last hope is the CalDigit TS3 dock. But before I make this investment, I need to be 100% sure that it's actually possible to boot the iMac with the MacBook via Target Disk Mode with the dock in between. Thank you & greetings from Holland!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@w4rmk I'm struggling to get my iMac12,2 (2012) connected to my MacBook 12" (2015) in order to boot my iMac with my MacBook via Target Disk Mode. I really need to have the boot option because of an hardware issue. For Target Disk Mode, my iMac only supports a Thunderbolt or Firewire connection and my MacBook only USB-C. Unfortunately, my MacBook's USB-C connection is not compatible with TB3 (only MacBook Pro), so I cannot use the TB to TB3 adapter with a TB2 cable. I could connect the iMac and MacBook through an ethernet cable, with a TB-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter for the iMac and a USB-C-to-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter for the MacBook, but this is only for file sharing. As soon as you reboot, the connection is lost. My last hope is the CalDigit TS3 dock. But before I make this investment, I need to be 100% sure that it's actually possible to boot the iMac with the MacBook via Target Disk Mode with the dock in between. Thank you & greetings from Holland!
TDM only works with native interfaces that the firmware knows about it.

Your MacBook USB-C don't have Thunderbolt like MBPs, it's just USB, so TDM only works via USB.

Since your iMac is too old to support TDM via USB, you won't get both talking.

Reactions: Eschers

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I just got the TS3 today and I'm about to experiment with a setup that uses it as the core hub between 3 machines: the 2013 Mac Pro, my work Macbook that has specific VPN/etc for work, and my new M1 Macbook-- my main issue is I have a Thunderbolt Display so I have to buy 2 T3>T2 adapters (I had one already).

I'm picking up the other adapter tomorrow, does anyone else do this, and does this work? seems like it should, right?

edit for clarity: I'll only be using one machine at a time, and will be switching by disconnecting/reconnectng each machine with one cable to the TS3.

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Does anyone know if there is a USB-A to USB-C hub that provides female USB-C ports? I have never seen one... And there are no Thunderbolt 2 docks that offer USB-C ports either. So I think our only option is a Thunderbolt 3 dock connected to the 2013 Mac Pro using the Apple T3 to T3 adapter if you want a solution that gets you as close as possible to actually having USB-C ports on the Mac Pro. I know there are other brands/models of T3 docks that are less expensive than the CalDigit. I went with the CalDigit because I wanted a high quality dock that would be reliable and this one is built like a tank.

@w4rmk Do you mean something like this?

Reactions: dabotsonline

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Does the downstream TB3 port on the dock work when hooked up this way?

if this was for me-- yes, I picked up the second adapter and it seems to work just fine. there's some pivoting of the cable from the Mac Pro vs. the cable from either Macbook that I need to do but its like 5 seconds vs. 2. all of the caldigit connected devices are recognized and so are the devices connected to the Thunderbolt Display. seems like a pretty decent solution.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
@w4rmk Do you mean something like this?

I have a bunch of adaptors like these and they work a treat.

Some came with devices I have that use captive/integrated USB-C to C cables, others I picked up on eBay.

If all you want is USB-C on a machine that doesn’t have it, this is way cheaper than Thunderbolt docks with a TB 2 to 3 adaptor.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I bought a Caldigit TS3 and a Caldigit TS3 Lite dock for use with my Macbook Pro 2016 years ago.

Later I used them with a Mac Mini 2018 and now that I have got my hands on a Mac Pro 2013 I use them with a Mac Pro 2013, connected through an Apple TB-TB3-adapter.

Everything (10 Gbit Ethernet, TB3 NVMe, TB3 eGPU, USB 3.1 SSD, eSATA drives, Gbit Ethernet, TB3 upstream ports, ...) works fine with the 20 Gbit bandwith limitation. The 10 Gbit Sonnet Solo TB3 ethernet adapter also works with full 10 Gbit performance, which the TB2 version would not, due to unsufficient bus power supply. So in short: It is the best way to get the Mac Pro 2013 ready for the future.

Reactions: R2FX

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
You actually don't even need that. There are a lot of USB-A to USB-C cables out there for around $5. I use them all the time to connect USB-C accessories with my 2009.

You'll be capped at the speed of the USB port, USB3 is 5 gbps, which is the same speed as what that dock provides.
It's not the same as going through the thunderbolt ports. The trashcan is built for TB, while the USB ports all share like 1 internal lane so the bandwidth is crippled. Try importing a big batch of photos from a usb sd reader while working off files on a USB external drive and everything grinds to a trickle. Whereas the TB ports will rip!

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I’m wondering if the new Caldigit Element Hub or OWC Thunderbolt Hub can be hooked up to a 2013 Mac Pro via the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter. Obviously the bandwidth would be halved but it seems like it should work.

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I’m wondering if the new Caldigit Element Hub or OWC Thunderbolt Hub can be hooked up to a 2013 Mac Pro via the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter. Obviously the bandwidth would be halved but it seems like it should work.
does not work, i tested it

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Damn, thanks for reporting
I am also using Caldigit TS3 and TS3 lite thunderbolt docks, which work with the adapter. But the OWC TB3 Hub does not work, although it lights up. Maybe connecting it to one of the docks might work. I will try.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
hmmmm - trying to add Thunderbolt 3 to my Mac Pro 2013...

I use a Sonnet Echo Express III-D external PCIe expansion box for a few storage cards, and I am upgrading my Echo Express to Thunderbolt 3 via a Thunderbolt 3 Upgrade card from Sonnet. This card replaces the Thunderbolt 2 card in the Echo Express and the new Thunderbolt 3 card has 2 x Thunderbolt 3 connections.

I will connect the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro using Thunderbolt 3 and an Apple TB3->TB2 adapter).

Hence, when connecting the Echo Express box with my Mac Pro, I will have one Thunderbolt 3 connection to spare.

Will this setup effectively give me a Thunderbolt 3 connection on my Mac Pro, albeit with a slower transfer rate, because it will still be limited by the Thunderbolt 2 connection between the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro?

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
hmmmm - trying to add Thunderbolt 3 to my Mac Pro 2013...

I use a Sonnet Echo Express III-D external PCIe expansion box for a few storage cards, and I am upgrading my Echo Express to Thunderbolt 3 via a Thunderbolt 3 Upgrade card from Sonnet. This card replaces the Thunderbolt 2 card in the Echo Express and the new Thunderbolt 3 card has 2 x Thunderbolt 3 connections.

I will connect the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro using Thunderbolt 3 and an Apple TB3->TB2 adapter).

Hence, when connecting the Echo Express box with my Mac Pro, I will have one Thunderbolt 3 connection to spare.

Will this setup effectively give me a Thunderbolt 3 connection on my Mac Pro, albeit with a slower transfer rate, because it will still be limited by the Thunderbolt 2 connection between the Echo Express box and the Mac Pro?
Yes, I am using TB3 docks myself. The links will show up as 20 GBit/s

Reactions: Killerbob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.