Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikimikimiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Hello, I would like to ask if any of you have had the same issue.

Since the day I bought my MBA 2020 (i3) in September 2020 I am having an issue with the screen. It shows QR Code-looking green squares in two, maybe three spots on the screen. It happens randomly, sometimes twice a day, sometimes once in a month and I have no idea how to induce this issue. I work mostly with Excel and Word. These squares show up for a split second and I am never ready with my camera to take a picture of it, but I found an exact case on Apple forums, from where I'm posting a picture. During the glitch Mac freezes for a brief moment and comes back to normal. It is not software related, was there on Catalina and Big Sur and with fresh installs.

5ee95f23-9b39-432e-8e7b-5a57efabeac6.jpg

Photo courtesy: uzrnm (from Apple Discussions)

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
As you say, it is not software and there is not much we can do here. Better contact Apple and get it fixed before warranty expires.

Reactions: mikimikimiki

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
You can't induce the issue because it's most likely an intermittent hardware failure. Those tend to worsen with time (or just go boom at all once and you have no computer). As others have said, consolation with Apple is the only viable solution.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had this with a 2011 iMac a few years ago with something very similar, it was a dying graphics card (the best i could determine, it was not worth the money it would have costed to fix). The odd thing is that it was temperature related, I put it in an unheated garage and it would happen every time, if I left the computer running (to heat up the internals) it would only happen every few boot attempts.

Obviously, this symptom could have multiple causes, but it indicated a hardware problem for sure. Hopefully you have AppleCare, or can still purchase it as I think a hardware replacement is in your near future.

Video link to my post a few years ago.

mikimikimiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Yeah, I did send it to Apple and I am waiting for the outcome. I will let you guys know.

mikimikimiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
I had this with a 2011 iMac a few years ago with something very similar, it was a dying graphics card (the best i could determine, it was not worth the money it would have costed to fix). The odd thing is that it was temperature related, I put it in an unheated garage and it would happen every time, if I left the computer running (to heat up the internals) it would only happen every few boot attempts.

Obviously, this symptom could have multiple causes, but it indicated a hardware problem for sure. Hopefully you have AppleCare, or can still purchase it as I think a hardware replacement is in your near future.

Video link to my post a few years ago.

The thing is it doesn't appear on screenshots or screen recordings, that's why I don't have any footage of it.
It still is under warranty so hopefully they will positively diagnose the issue and make it disappear :)

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The thing is it doesn't appear on screenshots or screen recordings, that's why I don't have any footage of it.
It still is under warranty so hopefully they will positively diagnose the issue and make it disappear :)
You have a picture in post 1 and could also do a video from (phone) camera, but hardware errors will rarely appear on screenshots and screen capture.

mikimikimiki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
I have just received an email from Apple. They have found the issue and they are replacing logic board and Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.