Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I’m using a 12 Pro Max, and I noticed that when the brightness drops to around 0-5%, the screen displays a greenish tint, particularly noticeable on gray backgrounds (like on MacRumors or Reddit app in dark mode).

I did some searching and found some posts about this exact issue that people had experienced on the Google Pixel.

I can clearly see the shift happen as I drag the brightness slider... When it gets below a certain point (say around 5%), the screen tints green, but goes back to normal when raising brightness beyond that same point.

Anyone else noticing this?

TheLastIonian

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Same here. 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.2. I don’t have any wonky accessibility settings turned on and toggling TruTone hasn’t helped either. Doesn’t bother me much, but it’s odd.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
It’s a issue with oled screen tech my mini has it and it’s going back. This link is a oled uniformly test that shows you slides from black to gray . Play the vid full screen in a dark room with low brightness and that’s how u see if u have any issues. I notice mine instantly on any dark image if u don’t notice anything with normal use don’t go looking and enjoy the phone .

tobiaskrautwald

Contributor
Oct 7, 2013
Munich, Germany
_DSC0633.JPG

_DSC0637.JPG

from left to right 12 Pro Max, 12 Pro Max, 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro
no True Tone, no Night Shift, auto brightness off

first pic at 0% brightness, second pic at 50% brightness.
(camera is set to 6500K whitepoint, auto exposure)

notice how at 0% brightness both 12 pro max show a green tint the darker the grey gets.

slightly annoying when using the phone in dark mode at night at very low brightness.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Tried to take a pic of the green tint issue in a dark room with my iPad (which explains the poor picture quality). Left pic is at maybe 15% brightness and the dark grays look fine. Right pic is 0% brightness and where it shifts to a green tint across the whole display.

I've been seeing more people report this specific problem both on here and Reddit.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 558

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015
Yep I have the same issue on the mini, green tint on the bottom right. More noticeable when the brightness is low.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Bump.

This is really annoying as I‘m often using my 12PM in very dark environments.
It‘s so far off, it‘s embarrassing.

Thinking of having it replaced under AC+, but I‘m hesitant as the replacement phone may have the issue, too...

PhokLTD

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Bump.

This is really annoying as I‘m often using my 12PM in very dark environments.
It‘s so far off, it‘s embarrassing.

Thinking of having it replaced under AC+, but I‘m hesitant as the replacement phone may have the issue, too...
I’m on my 3rd 12 Pro unit and all of them have exhibited this behavior to various degrees. At least this one has a uniform screen only tend to notice it around the edges whereas the first two it was significant towards the upper half. At the moment I’m not trying to play the replacement game so have called to have it on record that the issue persists and if not fixed by an update I’ll be requesting another replacement.

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Also, noticed this when at 0 brightness. Also have a warm screen. Crossing my fingers that Apple makes this right.

catmonkey

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
I’m on my 2nd Pro Max - the first one had it in the top two thirds and less so at the bottom, but the bottom had a red hue to it. This one is green at low brightness all over so at least its even which is less annoying than scrolling and noticing items getting greener as they move to the top of the screen.

osiczz

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
Latvia
I have green edges too at any brightness on dark spots. IPhone 12, iOS14.3

Attachments

• CCE0AB9A-7B0B-4069-A6DB-312447A14DEC.jpeg
    CCE0AB9A-7B0B-4069-A6DB-312447A14DEC.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 720

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I gave up on this issue... disappointing since my 11PM screen was perfect, but I decided to just live with the slight green tint at very low brightness for now.

My friend has a 12PM which does not exhibit this behavior at all, so it's a matter of playing the screen lottery I guess, and I really don't have time for that.

baking soda

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2020
Italy
Looks to me like the tint issue is fixed on iOS 14.5 beta 1!

What about the screen flickering issue? Have you experienced that?
You could test with one of those OLED test pitch black videos on YT and see if the screen stays black or if it flickers, especially at low brightness.
I received a new iPhone 12 Pro today and the screen on this one is perfect. Too bad it has a scratch on the back which I immediately noticed when I unboxed it, and I already asked for a replacement.
Not sure whether that’s going to be a good idea... I owned 3 12 Pro’s now and this one is way better than the other and the screen has no issues. Oh god, why did it come with this big ass scratch on the back glass?? Fml!

Reactions: 5105973

nimas1377

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2022
I’m using a 12 Pro Max, and I noticed that when the brightness drops to around 0-5%, the screen displays a greenish tint, particularly noticeable on gray backgrounds (like on MacRumors or Reddit app in dark mode).

I did some searching and found some posts about this exact issue that people had experienced on the Google Pixel.

I can clearly see the shift happen as I drag the brightness slider... When it gets below a certain point (say around 5%), the screen tints green, but goes back to normal when raising brightness beyond that same point.

Anyone else noticing this?
Hey, I recently got my mum’s xs max and I have the same exact issue. I think it’s just a lottery. I even tried using green image to burn down the greens and make them balanced but the issue is that it’s only really vis on low brightness. Hopefully apple is working on it otherwise we should live with it I guess. Just wanted to let you know xs max has this issue too (at least mine does)

Attachments

• 268374F8-4833-4E6E-95B3-7A0D72BE0DD7.jpeg
    268374F8-4833-4E6E-95B3-7A0D72BE0DD7.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 169

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hey, I recently got my mum’s xs max and I have the same exact issue. I think it’s just a lottery. I even tried using green image to burn down the greens and make them balanced but the issue is that it’s only really vis on low brightness. Hopefully apple is working on it otherwise we should live with it I guess. Just wanted to let you know xs max has this issue too (at least mine does)
Wow I thought this green problem was only on the early batch of 12’s. My 12 mini is flawless but my early 12 mini and 12 Pro max were so green that watching movies on the 12 Pro Max was an unpleasant experience. I didn’t know it went as far back as the XS Max. I had one of those briefly a few years ago and it looked good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.