Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Hi,

I have a large fanfic collection. At the moment it is in a combination of .rtf, ePub, .txt and html. I'm quite happy to convert my archive if there's an iOS app that can do what I want.

I often wish to read a specific story but can't remember the title or author (which instantly knocks out the vast majority of e reader apps) but I can remember a specific phrase within the story. Thus the need for contents search across multiple files in multiple folders. The trouble is, I can't find any app that's completely capable of doing this.

-Google Drive works to a point, but it's flaky about allowing sharing. Eg, it's doesn't allow me to share an .rtf with a e-reader app that supports .rtf, only with text creation apps. That's probably ios's fault, but still. Documents claimed to do what I wanted but when I checked further I found it wasn't actually searching the file contents, it was simply serving a list of all the files in a folder rather than responding to a search query.

-In a perfect world I'd love to see a preview of matches before opening the file, as per DocFetcher/Agent Ransack.

-I'm happy to buy an app if it seems it will work. I'm also flexible about whether it's a file management app, an e reader app, or a combination thereof. As above, if someone says they can get grep style search across multiple documents but it only works with a specific cloud storage or file formats, I'm happy to try that too.

I have tried using Ulysses for this, btw. I imported a load of text files and it does work to a point but the app struggled when too many files were added, which is fair enough. Not its intended use case!

Basically, this functionality is starting to become the only reason I'd hang on to my Surface Pro 3. My iPad Air 2 can literally do everything else and if I got the Pro--in either size-- I'd gain the drawing/handwriting capabilities too. Needless to add, functionality such as this could be used in other ways including academia.

Any suggestions?
*hopeful*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.