Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I've got an iMac (27" Mid 2011) running Sierra. A week ago, i turned it on and was welcomed by the apple logo then half way through i got a grey screen which darkened slightly and just stayed like that. I tried everything to the best of my knowledge..

• PRAM Reset,
  • SMC Reset
  • Single user mode to check the disk with fsck -fy
  • Diagnostic shows nothing in basic and extended tests
  • Reinstalled Sierra
I originally thought it could be the graphics card but a few days after it would just start. I've been using it now for the past 5 days until i go to turn it on this morning and back to the grey screen.

The apple logo appears but then it flashes for a second to the grey screen.

Any ideas what this could be? I cant get into the recovery partition nor internet recovery. I've also tried to put another HDD in with sierra installed but same problem.

Thank you.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hi Audit13, thanks for your reply.

That's what I've been reading but I've literately been on YouTube all day, played some online games etc and it's not gone off. Can it happen as random as a week or two then bad again?

Thanks

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, that can happen. Some apps, like mail and safari, don't use hardware acceleration and would not cause a failure.

Once the amd gpu is utilised, it starts to warm up and it's contacts will lift off the logic board. Eventually, the contacts will stay separated.

For me, it happened slowly and wasn't a problem as long as I don't use apps that utilised the amd gpu.

medievil2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
I see, thank you. Do you know what apps will use hardware acceleration so i can test it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.