Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
My thoughts.

It’s a good action movie — the story of a single battle. It’s the sort of movie you have to watch again just to catch all the details. But there’s not much of an intro. There’s one very brief scene where Captain Krause and his girlfriend are exchanging presents. He asks her to marry him, she says no, and that’s it. Their relationship is never resolved.

We know Krause is a religious man — we see him praying in the middle of the battle — and he has bad feet — he has to send a runner to his cabin to fetch his slippers, and his feet are bleeding by the time the battle’s over. And Tom Hanks’ acting is excellent, as always. But still, it feels like we’re missing part of his story. The movie is fairly short — only 91 minutes — and I have to wonder if there wasn’t more than was left on the cutting-room floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I thought it's a bit unfortunate that the movie doesn't take a little time to develop the characters. The scene of the Captain meeting his girlfriend felt tacked-on and without consequence. It all feels a little empty, but thanks to the short runtime and fast pacing it's still an entertaining action thriller that doesn't get boring. But anyone hoping for a companion piece of "Das Boot" (watch the full-length TV version if you can!) will be disappointed.

Reactions: mrsmith1

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Because it was released on Apple TV+ (not in theaters), I tolerated it because I was at home.

That being said, the movie had a ton of problems which could have been resolved by increasing the 90 minute runtime. No character development is definitely the main problem.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I dont know, hasn't the whole Tom Hanks WW2 thing been done before? I'm so over it. I tried to watch it and stopped after 3 minutes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My thoughts.

It’s a good action movie — the story of a single battle. It’s the sort of movie you have to watch again just to catch all the details. But there’s not much of an intro. There’s one very brief scene where Captain Krause and his girlfriend are exchanging presents. He asks her to marry him, she says no, and that’s it. Their relationship is never resolved.

We know Krause is a religious man — we see him praying in the middle of the battle — and he has bad feet — he has to send a runner to his cabin to fetch his slippers, and his feet are bleeding by the time the battle’s over. And Tom Hanks’ acting is excellent, as always. But still, it feels like we’re missing part of his story. The movie is fairly short — only 91 minutes — and I have to wonder if there wasn’t more than was left on the cutting-room floor.
I thought it's a bit unfortunate that the movie doesn't take a little time to develop the characters. The scene of the Captain meeting his girlfriend felt tacked-on and without consequence. It all feels a little empty, but thanks to the short runtime and fast pacing it's still an entertaining action thriller that doesn't get boring. But anyone hoping for a companion piece of "Das Boot" (watch the full-length TV version if you can!) will be disappointed.
Because it was released on Apple TV+ (not in theaters), I tolerated it because I was at home.

That being said, the movie had a ton of problems which could have been resolved by increasing the 90 minute runtime. No character development is definitely the main problem.

I have read the book, The Good Shepherd, by C. S. Forester, on which the movie is based, or from which it is derived.

For once, if what you write is true, the movie does not omit most, or much, of the book, which has often happened with film/movie adaptations of books.

In fact, paradoxically, from what you have written, this seems to have been an unusually faithful adaptation of the book the movie is based on.

The book - which is quite short - starts at the outset of the voyage, and there is not much of either a back story (there is no girlfriend, but - bear in mind that this was written in the 50s, and set in the 40s, thus, there is a failed marriage, - which was also a late marriage, to a younger, but very accomplished woman, - a failure partly attributed to the fact that Krause's repressed character was utterly unable to communicate or express the emotions he felt - and partly, because, towards the end of the book, it becomes also clear from his appalled and shamed recollections that he had hit her, after which she left him), nor much by way of character development.

However, the sore feet arose from the fact that Krause had been on his feet or the best part of three days, without sleep, under sustained stress and was utterly shattered by the time air cover was restored and the running sea battle to protect the convoy had been successful. And the naval action sequences in the book were both intense and well written (and clearly, well researched).

And yes, Krause was religious, this informed his perspective, and, if memory serves, in a brief flashback, it was shown that his father had been a clergyman, or a church minister.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
The one thing I had to mentally resolve was a 64-year old Hanks playing a first time destroyer captain. Made up he could pass for late 40’s but still. Not sure if this was common in WWII.

The CGI was well done but still noticeable.

But overall worth a watch. If Apple gets more content like this I might actually consider paying for ATV+.

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
Wow yeah I thought it was fantastic. I'll be buying the blu-ray.
The realism that they gave sea warfare was just terrifying. I've read into and watched a lot of WWII stuff, but sea warfare is something I've not read a lot about.

Reactions: jbachandouris

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Wow yeah I thought it was fantastic. I'll be buying the blu-ray.
The realism that they gave sea warfare was just terrifying. I've read into and watched a lot of WWII stuff, but sea warfare is something I've not read a lot about.
If you have never seen Das Boot I highly recommend it. If you can find the TV miniseries version in German dubbed in English even better.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
The one thing I had to mentally resolve was a 64-year old Hanks playing a first time destroyer captain. Made up he could pass for late 40’s but still. Not sure if this was common in WWII.

There were a lot of over-aged officers at the start of the war. Promotions were hard to come by in peacetime. Also a lot of retired officers recalled for convoy duty.

Notice the way he was portrayed in the book.

30B67DBD-46D3-4347-9BBB-B3D223587B33.jpeg

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I personally didn't mind the absence of character development. To me, a war movie is about, above all, action, devastation, and/or strategy. If the character development means cliché back story like Pearl Harbor or Midway, I will gladly do without it.

Greyhound is all about letting the audience experience World War II naval warfare like Das Boot. To be fair, Das Boot is a superior movie with a fair amount of character development. But it is also a far longer movie (especially Director's Cut or The Original Uncut Version). Greyhound is a model of efficiency with gripping action and it looks and feels hyper realistic.

While the movie lacks emotion gusto, perhaps due to lack of character development, actors are all very competent and I was fairly drained when the movie was over. It kinda reminded me of Gravity, another movie that is largely devoid of character development and more about letting the audience experience.

All in all, a solid 7 or 8 for me.

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I personally didn't mind the absence of character development. To me, a war movie is about, above all, action, devastation, and/or strategy. If the character development means cliché back story like Pearl Harbor or Midway, I will gladly do without it.

Greyhound is all about letting the audience experience World War II naval warfare like Das Boot. To be fair, Das Boot is a superior movie with a fair amount of character development. But it is also a far longer movie (especially Director's Cut or The Original Uncut Version). Greyhound is a model of efficiency with gripping action and it looks and feels hyper realistic.

While the movie lacks emotion gusto, perhaps due to lack of character development, actors are all very competent and I was fairly drained when the movie was over. It kinda reminded me of Gravity, another movie that is largely devoid of character development and more about letting the audience experience.

All in all, a solid 7 or 8 for me.
All fair points. I think 5-10 minutes more of character exposition would have helped, and either have Elizabeth Shue do more or cut her role entirely.

But yes, having it without cliches was also a good thing.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Couldnt finish, just endless Tom Hanks yelling out numbers or rudder commands. Shame, it has a lot of potential. He should feel lucky he got 70 million for it....

Reactions: jbachandouris

AE_stc

Suspended
Feb 25, 2020
SPOILER: at 48 minutes or so when he walks out on the deck and you hear the guns, the radio, the horns of the anthemic music blaring, then the camera pans up and scans the battlefield as you see the action rise and the flares shooting up etc. It took my breath away. I haven’t had an experience like that with a film in quite a while

Reactions: La BESTIA

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
I'm glad Apple is considering this release a success, but it wasn't for me. I hope I like the Timerblake and DiCaprio blockbusters better.
Kind of a win-win for Hanks (despite his desire for a theatrical release) and Apple TV+. Big name star added to their exclusives and depending on how video sales go might not cost Apple too much.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Kind of a win-win for Hanks (despite his desire for a theatrical release) and Apple TV+. Big name star added to their exclusives and depending on how video sales go might not cost Apple too much.
If it wasn't for the pandemic, I think Greyhound certainly has a good shot at grossing more than $70M. Against the budget of $50.3M, getting that extra $20M from Apple is certainly better than how other digital-only releases are fairing, however (more successful titles are grossing about $20M).

Brian74

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
If you have never seen Das Boot I highly recommend it. If you can find the TV miniseries version in German dubbed in English even better.
Nothing 'dubbed' in English works as well as the original language with subtitles. Th nuances of the original language are lost in the dubbing.

Brian74

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2020
My father was a Canadian navy seaman who was transported across the Atlantic in a similar convoy. He was assigned to a landing craft for the future (Normandy) invasion, and transported the second wave of soldiers to the beaches. His landing craft succeeded in their delivery but was disabled by a mine and had to be towed back to England for repairs before resuming cross-channel deliveries. He remained in the RCN until retirement in the late 1960s. Being steeped in RCN lore, I found Greyhound, Dunkirk, and Dieppe to be respectful depictions of the hell that the men experienced. My readings suggest that the released version of Greyhound was trimmed significantly, thus losing the details of the Captain's life that brought him to this point. I hope an uncut version will be available eventually. I suggest that viewers put themselves in the shoes of the sailors and not in the director's chair. Feel the fear. War is hell.

Reactions: AE_stc

MarkAtl

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2019
Nothing 'dubbed' in English works as well as the original language with subtitles. Th nuances of the original language are lost in the dubbing.
Personally I agree, but what’s great is that all the principal actors dubbed their own lines into English.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
The Mrs and I thoroughly enjoyed Greyhound a couple of weekends ago. Could easily watch it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.