Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Bought this at Best Buy today $24.99. Here's my unboxing of it. It's my first time checking it out too so sorry for delays etc, I'm a YT noob still but the iPod camera is getting it's use. lots of fun making these videos.

First video was using iPod Touch 4G's rear camera. (may still be processing)

Unboxing and quick look at the case

Also processing I made another video of it installed using my MBP's built in camera.

Griffin Reveal Installed

RyanNoah

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the review. I'm actually leaning towards Griffin also. The FormFit looks like a good one, plus it has a stand.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Thanks for posting this stuff on YouTube. Reviews like this are always a big help when choosing a case. This one looks promising. I like the combination of hard plastic back with softer, grippier sides.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Awesome dude, you sold me! This reminds me of my Incase slider and I loved that case!

So how do you get the iPod Touch in? Does it go in like a silicone/TPU case?

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
yeah the sides are flexible enough to kind of wiggle in the ipod and then it's form fitting enough to just hold the ipod in place.

Cat-toy

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
New York City
Hmm... That looks slick!
I usually go for silicone cases like the incipio dermaSHOT, but now seeing the Griffin makes me wonder if I should go with that. Thanks for the vid :)

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wow. A great way to get a grip(that's why I was gonna get a not-so-thin case for this thin iPod touch), still preserve the original beauty of the iPod touch, and protect it! :D I was probably gonna get the Incipio DermaSHOT too, but this makes me reconsider.
But it's pretty expensive just for the case...

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I decided this was the case for me last night (thanks for the vids!) so looked up store availability on the BB site, found that the one close to work had them in stock.

Went down at lunch today, scanned, searched, nothing! Found the Belkin colored ones, but not the Griffin! I checked stock again and had a sales person look up inventory, said it had 7 in stock. We searched and searched and could not find them. Finally, 45 minutes later (yes, I'm persistent!), he finally found them on a cart in the back...

This is the second BB that I've been to that could not find their inventory. I know it's a big store, but it's a bit ridiculous to think that a store has such a hard time finding it's own inventory.

BTW, I was only persistent because I'm so tired of going to different BB and coming out with nothing. Persistence paid off in this case. I did thank the guy and mentioned him to his manager because he did stick with me and didn't just say "nope, sorry" and walk off.

Hopefully this case is worth it. I've put it on and really like the look. Very low profile in the front and the back looks pretty slick with the silver coming through. Too bad I couldn't get it from the beginning, now I can see all of my scratches on the back!

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
^ glad to hear it. Yeah I had a protector on the back since day 1. It was actually the original screen protector sticker that came with the ipod - the one with the picture of the apps etc. I cut out the tabs and just stuck it on the back of the iPod. So now it's clean and no scratches.

Yeah another BB had "stock" but I couldn't find any but I didn't bother asking - I assume it was the same and it just wasn't stocked properly.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Here are a few pictures of the case if anyone is interested. So far I'm really liking it. It feels sturdy and holds the iPod Touch really well. I like the fact that the usb adapter, headphone jack and speakers are completely unubstructed.

The ONLY fault I see, and it's minor, is from the edges at the bottom when playing a game in landscape mode. Because the case doesn't completely surround the front face, the edges where it stops sometimes poke into the palm of my hands. It's minor, but still an observation.

On another note, I really need to clean my desk and my iPod Touch! Flash was not my friend!

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
I almost bought this exact case at Best Buy today but I decided to wait for a good silicone case instead. Didn't like the idea of a scratch-prone clear plastic back on this thing.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Going to BB today to pick one up, so any issues for anyone using this case and a back protector applied to their Touch?

*picked it up today, only to return it a few minutes later. For some reason, it has a "mushy" feel by the volume and sleep button. I thought it was because the iPod was in the case all the way but as far as I got it in there, same result. Tried another one and again, same result. So instead, I went with one of the Griffin hard plastic sliders. Same price and if anything I preferred the color option.

I do have a back and screen protector on, so more than likely that may have been affecting the fit for the reveal case.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Sorry to hear that prot0type. I'm liking mine, reminds me a lot of my Incase Slider I had for my 3G.

On another note, anyone here familiar with the Playgear Pocket for the PSP? Something I always loved was that you could add your own picture to the case to "customize" it.

Well, the Griffin case is clear, and while I dig the Apple logo, I'm not so fond of all of my scratches accumulated over the short week I've had it.

I present, my Halo Reach case: :p

Now that I have a template, I can do more pretty easily.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
that's awesome!! I planned to do something like that with my backing too. rock on =)

Thanks man. I found that if you use the hale of the cardboard stuffed in the case packaging worked good as a template.

Post pics if you end up doing something! :)

Blackened

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
I picked up one at BB today too, only because that's the only one for the 4G that they had in stock. Had an InvisibleSHIELD put on the front as well.

I got the solid gray color though, not the see-through one, although you can see through enough to see the ipod logo on the back, and see the flange where it snaps together, which I don't like.

The other thing I don't like is that it doesn't wrap around the front on the bottom to hold down the screen protector like the Incase Slider does on the 3G.

The 3rd thing I don't like is the slick non-grip material.

Overall it's not ideal, but it works. I'm waiting for the new Incase Slider to come out, and as long as it does in the next 30 days, I'll be taking this back to Best Buy and I'll pay another $10.00 for the Incase.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Got the Reveal but it will definitely be going back. Hate the way the buttons feel, and hate the way the case fits. Also squeaks if you hold it the right way.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Sorry to hear that prot0type. I'm liking mine, reminds me a lot of my Incase Slider I had for my 3G.

I still think it's a great case, gotta love the clear back and yes, I do remember the PSP case that allowed you to change the skin. Good thinking.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Picked this case up today.. I hate cases because they ruin the feel/look of Apple products.. But this barely adds any noticeable bulk.. The "stand" is very gimmicky but nice to have I guess :p

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Bought this at Best Buy today $24.99. Here's my unboxing of it. It's my first time checking it out too so sorry for delays etc, I'm a YT noob still but the iPod camera is getting it's use. lots of fun making these videos.

First video was using iPod Touch 4G's rear camera. (may still be processing)

Unboxing and quick look at the case

Also processing I made another video of it installed using my MBP's built in camera.

Griffin Reveal Installed
Thanks for posting this! After watching your videos (and MicroByte's posting of images with his graphic insert) I went to BB to pick one up. This is the perfect case (for me).

Does anyone have a graphic image to use as a template for the insert?

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.

On another note, anyone here familiar with the Playgear Pocket for the PSP? Something I always loved was that you could add your own picture to the case to "customize" it.

Well, the Griffin case is clear, and while I dig the Apple logo, I'm not so fond of all of my scratches accumulated over the short week I've had it.

I present, my Halo Reach case: :p

Now that I have a template, I can do more pretty easily.
Sweet! Just for this, I might get this case. So a skin would fit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.