Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacebiscuit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
I have a mid-2011 27" iMac with 8gm RAM, I used opencore to install Monterey around a year ago on a 500gb SSD. All has been working fine but the last few weeks performance is becoming so sluggish that it is almost unusable.

I notice it when I am using Chrome, with several tabs open I keep getting a spinning wheel when I click between tabs and my fans start to spin up and go crazy (I am using SSD Fan Control).

Quite often on the taskbar of Chome I see "waiting for cache", I've tried clearing the cache and what's more I have cache disabled on the network tab when I open "insepct".

My machine relatively clean, I use it for developing on so I am using VSCode, Chrome and my terminal - and that's about it. After an hour or so the machine is just in a real hot mess and every click takes an eternity. If I close Chrome thing clam down, I then open Safari and all seems ok.

My Chrome version is 118.0.5993.88 x86_64

Any ideas, tips or pointers, happy to run any speed tests if that would help?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

spacebiscuit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
I have 6 extensions installed, I've disabled them all and things seem much better. I'll re-enable one at a time to trying and identify the culprit!

Many thnaks!

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.