Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Funny, I just installed the Gromacs release of mc68k's scripts last night. Is there any reason to believe the official release will enhance folding?

Dan

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
They are still with the 3.25 client/text console/screen saver version, so really it is nothing new.

I guess they will be all gromac instead of tinker or something?

So far I have seen no notiacble speed increases with the 2 gromac units I have got... maybe something not noticeable, but it is taking about the same amount of time.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
They're still not giving out the new code - its coming soon.

Blah, all hype. They should just announce it when its ready unless there is some other reason for do it this way.

D

szark

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
They must have spent too much time making these Flash presentations instead of finishing the core...:rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not certain what you people were expecting but it's been over a year and the Gromacs code (Core_78.exe) is working and is using AltiVec quite nicely.

I would think that you with G4s should have seen a periodic point increase. I've been steadily above my Tinker-only folding points per day by about 1.5 times.

I'm not certain that the Tinker code (Core_65.exe) will be changed at all. It is written in FORTRAN and I'm not certain the gcc FORTRAN will do any good with it since Apple doesn't consider FORTRAN a necessity. Apple doesn't even distribute the standard gcc FORTRAN compiler or a FORTRAN to C translator.

I'm glad to see that the team is doing so well. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.