Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
A key MPEG-4 licensing clearinghouse said Tuesday that it has extended the deadline for patent submissions related to a highly anticipated video compression standard.

The new compression format, or codec, is part of the upcoming MPEG-4 (Moving Picture Experts Group) multimedia standard. MPEG LA had hoped to get the licensing ball rolling by Oct. 11, in advance of the final draft approval for the technology, known both as H.264 and as the JVT/AVC. But the group extended the deadline for submissions until Jan. 31, 2003, saying it will allow patent holders more time to prepare.

It's official.

H.264 is going to be part of the MPEG-4 standard.

Enjoy.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I hope they do...

Originally posted by irmongoose
Cool. Hope Apple gives us an update fast... and I'm also hoping Microsoft doesn't decide to jump onto the MPEG-4 wagon now...

irmongoose
...that way we'd have one open standard being used by both major operating systems. Add that to Office 11 using XML for its file format, and you suddenly get a lot more choice in which programs you use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.