Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Lately, since the last update I believe, several of my group text message conversations behave very oddly. It seems that almost every time someone responds, my iPhone 6 receives it and starts a new conversation thread. It's the same people talking about the same topic, but each time someone responds, a new thread is created on my phone.

Anyone else been having this issue?

Reactions: 5105973

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If it's SMS, it won't group the text messages and will always create a new conversation thread, or it will update an existing 1-to-1 SMS conversation with the person who replied.

If it's iMessage, check the sender details. Occasionally it may be sending from their Apple email rather than telephone number, so your iPhone will detect it as being different and then create a new thread.

It may be worth checking your iMessage settings as well, to ensure that you're not sending from multiple accounts. Is it just on your phone?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If it's SMS, it won't group the text messages and will always create a new conversation thread, or it will update an existing 1-to-1 SMS conversation with the person who replied.

If it's iMessage, check the sender details. Occasionally it may be sending from their Apple email rather than telephone number, so your iPhone will detect it as being different and then create a new thread.

It may be worth checking your iMessage settings as well, to ensure that you're not sending from multiple accounts. Is it just on your phone?
MMS does group texting. You don't need iMessage for that, which is what I assume OP is talking about.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It really depends on the settings on others phones as well. If people have changed their numbers or their primary contact details under iMessage then this may happen. The SMS use case is true as well.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
It's an MMS (a mixture of iOS and non-iOS users). I've been doing such MMS since I got my first iPhone (an iPhone 5), but only recently has this behavior surfaced.

I was wondering if it was happening to others recently as well to see if it's isolated issue or more widespread one.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It's an MMS (a mixture of iOS and non-iOS users). I've been doing such MMS since I got my first iPhone (an iPhone 5), but only recently has this behavior surfaced.

I was wondering if it was happening to others recently as well to see if it's isolated issue or more widespread one.
I can't comment on that because I stopped using standard texting 5 years ago and switched to Google Voice. I'm sure you've already tried rebooting. Maybe try resetting network settings. It'll erase all of your saved Wi-Fi passwords, but it's worth a shot if you remember all the Wi-Fi passwords you need.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can't comment on that because I stopped using standard texting 5 years ago and switched to Google Voice. I'm sure you've already tried rebooting. Maybe try resetting network settings. It'll erase all of your saved Wi-Fi passwords, but it's worth a shot if you remember all the Wi-Fi passwords you need.
Yeah, I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to find out that it was a more widespread iOS bug/issue and wanting to avoid resetting the phone or settings. I talked to a friend locally who is also in on that thread, and he said that it does the same thing to him (and only started recently).

I would suggest a new conversation thread for the MMS, but since it has some old farts on it who are borderline luddites, I'm not sure it's feasible. :cool:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yeah, I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to find out that it was a more widespread iOS bug/issue and wanting to avoid resetting the phone or settings. I talked to a friend locally who is also in on that thread, and he said that it does the same thing to him (and only started recently).

I would suggest a new conversation thread for the MMS, but since it has some old farts on it who are borderline luddites, I'm not sure it's feasible. :cool:
Well it wouldn't reset the phone. The only thing you'd lose is your saved Wi-Fi passwords, but if your friend is also having that problem, it's probably not an issue with your phone.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My daughter was complaining yesterday about something that sounds like this issue. She thought her friends were the ones instigating the new threads with the same group list. My husband and I shrugged it off as tweens doing something goofy, but perhaps that's not the case after all. I'll have my husband look into it when he gets a chance. He's the tech guru in the family. Thanks for posting about this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My daughter was complaining yesterday about something that sounds like this issue. She thought her friends were the ones instigating the new thread with the same group list. My husband and I shrugged it off as tweens doing something goofy, but perhaps that's not the case after all. I'll have my husband look into it when he gets a chance. He's the tech guru in the family. Thanks for posting about this.
Thanks for replying. It happened to a different mixed MMS conversation today.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think my daughter's friends are all on iMessage and that this is happening with IMessage but I'll check on that, too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for replying. It happened to a different mixed MMS conversation today.
We checked into it. It's not a glitch for us. The kids were just being wacky. One of the older girls got fed up and put a stop to it and now they are all back on the same thread.

Reactions: Vanilla35

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
We checked into it. It's not a glitch for us. The kids were just being wacky. One of the older girls got fed up and put a stop to it and now they are all back on the same thread.
Haha ok. Something to look forward to when my little one gets that age.

Will keep investigating my issues. Thanks anyway.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.