Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
I've just updated our two iMac 27" to Sierra 10.12.2

I got a message to say that Growl was not supported.
Is this no longer needed?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I've just updated our two iMac 27" to Sierra 10.12.2

I got a message to say that Growl was not supported.
Is this no longer needed?

It depends what you need it for. It's largely been superseded by built in macOS notifications anyway, apps support that instead of Growl now. It looks like development is dead too.

freg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Ah-ha!

Thanks!

I'll cease worrying that I'm missing out on something

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
The System Preferences Growl no longer works, but the Growl app does. I only use it with SuperDuper that does not support Notifications.

Pow!

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
With Prowl, it's still the only way to receive Mac notifications on your iOS devices.
It doesn't sound like anything else can do that yet, and there are many people who still want that.

I like the ability to see when a render, bounce, download, or file copy is finished without being in front of a given computer.

Anything else I should try that's compatible with El Cap or Sierra to get this functionality?

zachek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2020
Los Angeles
Old thread, not sure if anyone will see this,
With Prowl, it's still the only way to receive Mac notifications on your iOS devices.
It doesn't sound like anything else can do that yet, and there are many people who still want that.

I like the ability to see when a render, bounce, download, or file copy is finished without being in front of a given computer.

Anything else I should try that's compatible with El Cap or Sierra to get this functionality?

I’m wondering if you ever found anything like Prowl that works with or without Gfor Sierra (or beyond)?

I am on Mojave and setting up a cMP for the first time (have had mbp’s only for the last 10 years) so looking for something to get this functionality. Prowl is still on the App Store but looks like it hasn’t been developed in 4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.