Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I know its the same model but is the cdma disabled in the ipads that come with either a t-mobile or att sim? Has anyone tried to hookup an air with verizon or sprint if they bought from t-mob or att? I want to get a mini through t-mobile and try the free data but I want the option to use verizon if T-mob service is horrible.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Verizon uses GSM and SIM cards for its LTE. Therefore it works fine on any iPad Air with a SIM card slot.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I know its the same model but is the cdma disabled in the ipads that come with either a t-mobile or att sim? Has anyone tried to hookup an air with verizon or sprint if they bought from t-mob or att? I want to get a mini through t-mobile and try the free data but I want the option to use verizon if T-mob service is horrible.

Why not get a "Verizon" iPad through Apple, and then put a T-Mobile SIM in it? That's what I did. You don't need to activate the SIM that came with the iPad (though I've kept my Verizon SIM in case I might want to, later). that should remove all doubt.

As far as we know, the iPad Air is one model for all carriers. But the iPad mini being smaller, we don't know yet if the same will hold true for it.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
i bought an iPad Air from T-mobile with their no money down deal. Plopped an active SIM from an iPhone 5 into it & it worked right away on Verizon's network.

As long as you can get the SIM activated, you shouldn't have any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.