Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I was trying to play this port http://macintoshgarden.org/games/grand-theft-auto-iii-powerpc-alpha-version since the second it came out. I got the now infamous "whitescreen then crash" error. By digging deeper, running the executable in Terminal, I got an idea of what is wrong. There is something called "casepath" that is supposed to seemlessly handle filenames/paths with different capitilizations. For example, re3 tries to load a file in the MODELS directory, and then a different file in the models directory later. On a case insensitive filesystem, this is fine. But on a case sensitive filesystem, this is really bad. The game can't find where to load files from because the capitilization is wrong and on a case sensitive filesystem it is enforced. So here is how I fixed it.

Get a USB drive or some other external storage you are willing to format.
Use disk utility to format as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". DO NOT USE "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) or any other option!
Download the port from the garden and unzip the app.
Copy the app to the external storage you just formatted and run it from that.

What does a proper fix look like?
The filepaths in the re3 source need to be written in the exact capitilization as a GTA III rip is in. I don't know why it is not like that already. OR the casepath thing needs to be adjusted for Mac OS X. I am willing to do the former but I need access to the current port's source.

By the way @pakra sorry for being annoying, I just felt like I was banging my head against the wall trying to play this and seeing some people getting it working and others failing in the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.