Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Last night I wanted to play some GTA Online with my godson. He’s on PS4, I have upgraded to the PS5 version. I could swear we were able to play together when I first got the PS5 upgrade, but now it’s not working anymore. I actually had to reinstall the PS4 version to play with him. And since I transferred my Online account to the PS5 version and had no option to transfer it back, I had to create a new character and start over without all the progress I had made in the past. What the hell, Rockstar??

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
It's baffling that Rockstar hasn't implemented crossplay between PS4 and PS5 versions of GTA Online. It's especially inconvenient for players like you who have upgraded to the next-gen console but still want to play with friends on the previous generation. Having to reinstall the PS4 version just to join your godson is inconvenient, and the fact that you had to start over with a new character due to the lack of transfer options is truly disappointing. Hopefully, Rockstar addresses this issue soon, as it seems like a missed opportunity for seamless gameplay experience across platforms.
With GTA 6 on the horizon I really doubt that Rockstar is going to focus on cross play with with GTA 5. GTA 6 is going to be the big boom for the console market when it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.