Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
GTA V for PC releases Apr 14th, in exactly one week from today. (Steam pre-load begins today for those who pre-ordered.)

Anyone here getting the PC version?

Reactions: skinned66

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I am! I have the PS3 version already but I've pre ordered the PC version on Steam. I'm so down for 1st person, PC graphics and 60FPS. Also it will be much easier to play with friend and organise heists. Hopefully matchmaking will be much smoother on PC than PSN.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
I am! I have the PS3 version already but I've pre ordered the PC version on Steam. I'm so down for 1st person, PC graphics and 60FPS. Also it will be much easier to play with friend and organise heists. Hopefully matchmaking will be much smoother on PC than PSN.

Are you going to play it via Bootcamp on your Mac or on a dedicated gaming PC? I've got my copy pre-loaded. :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Are you going to play it via Bootcamp on your Mac or on a dedicated gaming PC? I've got my copy pre-loaded. :)

Oh I keep all my computer gaming to PC's. I used a 2011 27" iMac in bootcamp for gaming for a while years ago with pretty great performance but I've since built a dedicated system.

Intel 4670K @ 4.4GHz, AMD HD 7870 2GB, 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, 128GB SSD, 500GB SSD.

My system meets the recommend specs comfortably, but I'm mostly conceder about finding room for this huge 65GB game! My steam library will need some cleaning...

I'll probably throw in a second HD 7870 this summer and crossfire them so I can max out basically anything :cool:.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I'm actually quite interested in GTA V for PC – purely as a walking/sightseeing simulator: the game has a absolutely gorgeous scenery with an incredible amount of detail.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I bought the game and my copy has now been preloaded from Steam. Can't wait to actually play the game on Tuesday.
I'm using Boot Camp on my Retina iMac (with upgraded CPU and GPU). It's a very potent gaming machine. Very expensive compared to a comparable gaming PC, but then again I didn't buy it for games or Boot Camp, that's just a very awesome bonus.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I've just built a gaming PC especially for it (well, Call of Duty also). As much as I love my Macbook Pro, I also have a 4k monitor and the GT 750M just ain't gonna cut it! (nor do I exactly have the hard drive space to spare)

So I built a PC in a Bitfenix Prodigy case so it looks a bit like a MacPro.. (which I totally have not hackintoshed at all!) ;)

CA-074-BX_50311_350.jpg

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I've just built a gaming PC especially for it (well, Call of Duty also). As much as I love my Macbook Pro, I also have a 4k monitor and the GT 750M just ain't gonna cut it! (nor do I exactly have the hard drive space to spare)

So I built a PC in a Bitfenix Prodigy case so it looks a bit like a MacPro.. (which I totally have not hackintoshed at all!) ;)

What graphics card are you using in your rig?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Was miffed that the Rockstar Social Club is now compulsory, even for the single player. Was even more miffed that their servers went down last night. However, this morning it appears they're back online and I can start playing the game. :D

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I'm already playing. I'm baffled at how great it runs on the Retina iMac, considering the old-ish drivers, heat issues and all that stuff. I play at 2560x1440 with pretty much all the details (including the ones in the Advanced tab) turned up to the max. It takes about 3600 mb of video memory. It does drop frames and it's certainly not 60fps, but I've never been too sensitive about games running less than buttery smooth. If you prefer smoothness, just lower some of the details and it's pretty much guaranteed it will run at 60 fps. It's one hell of a well-optimized game.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011

That's a nice case, especially if it is smaller / more compact than the actual Mac Pro case, in physical dimensions.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Well this is a tad annoying!!! I didn't just get through 7 DVD's (No bluray option!) and 55Gb of data to wait and download another 5Gb from Rockstars slow arse servers!!

Wt2FLIE.jpg

Addendum: Bandwidth down to 33kbps. 7h 40m remaining :eek:
Addendum 2: 8 hours!

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia

hackintosh5

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Well for us Mac Pro (2013) users we'll have to disable the AMD crossfire for now. Until AMD update the drivers or us or someone finds a easy worked around of the newest beta drivers. I just tested the game was pretty jerky with crossfire on. But was a lot smother with I disabled epically while driving.

Now I'll have to play around with the graphic settings again. Now that I know to disable crossfire. 1080p with very high settings was getting me in the benchmark 40-90 fps around there. I'm going back to playing now, while I can.

Windows 8.1 with the newest AMD Bootcamp drivers
Quad 3.7 GHz
12 GB ram
D700

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Well for us Mac Pro (2013) users we'll have to disable the AMD crossfire for now. Until AMD update the drivers or us or someone finds a easy worked around of the newest beta drivers. I just tested the game was pretty jerky with crossfire on. But was a lot smother with I disabled epically while driving.

Now I'll have to play around with the graphic settings again. Now that I know to disable crossfire. 1080p with very high settings was getting me in the benchmark 40-90 fps around there. I'm going back to playing now, while I can.

Windows 8.1 with the newest AMD Bootcamp drivers
Quad 3.7 GHz
12 GB ram
D700

That's good to know I tried the game last night with the crossfire forced on and max settings at 2560x1440 (D700 8core) and got quite a bit of stutter, I will try tonight without crossfire.

I am very disappointed that AMD seems to have stopped supporting the Drivers for the D series. Does this mean we will be stuck with the last drivers before Omega forever? or until apple release a new mac pro? Does anyone know why they have done this.. I don't get it? I love using my mac pro as a gaming machine, and at 2560x1440 when crossfire works games run really well.

I was thinking of doing the workaround for the omega drivers but don't really want to take the risk.

If I build a pc gaming machine down the road I will def use Nvidia, Im fed up of lack of AMD support.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I've installed the Omega drivers using the workaround in order to "convince" them to get installed and they work just fine. Of course, there will still be some games that will not work well with Xfire enabled from the start, but at least I can now hope that most of these problems will get resolved by the next Omega releases.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
I've installed the Omega drivers using the workaround in order to "convince" them to get installed and they work just fine. Of course, there will still be some games that will not work well with Xfire enabled from the start, but at least I can now hope that most of these problems will get resolved by the next Omega releases.

A few questions?

have you noticed a big difference in fps with the omega drivers, would you say its worth doing? Do you have a mac pro or iMac? Does the crossfire (omega) work with any games? On the AMD website there is a beta driver for GTA 5 and it says it has a crossfire profile. Has anyone tried this on a mac?

Sorry for all the questions. Ive been waiting for this game for years and want to get the best out of it with my D700's :)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...x?hootPostID=2029570326847afdcf9e14314ec5fc8b

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
A few questions?

have you noticed a big difference in fps with the omega drivers, would you say its worth doing? Do you have a mac pro or iMac? Does the crossfire (omega) work with any games? On the AMD website there is a beta driver for GTA 5 and it says it has a crossfire profile. Has anyone tried this on a mac?

Sorry for all the questions. Ive been waiting for this game for years and want to get the best out of it with my D700's :)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...x?hootPostID=2029570326847afdcf9e14314ec5fc8b

No problem, questions are good. That's what the forums are for ;)

I have a Mac Pro with D700s. I did not try GTA 5 but I thought about commenting anyway since I'm using Omega drivers that mentioned here. As for the drivers, I did see a small difference in FPS (not big) on a pretty heavy game, dragon age:inquisition. That was with Xfire off (as I did have issues with it and the particular game using any drivers - apple's and omega. In the game's forums people using Xfire in PCs complain anyway about it as well for this game). Using a single card, I did see a small but noticeable improvement and this was with the very first release of Omega, so I assume it will get even better.

Since I use Windows only for gaming, I think Omega drivers will be much better since they will get updated way more often than the ones provided by apple, so more and more games will work under Xfire (e.g. having updated profiles).

So far, with Xfire enabled, using Omega drivers, I've been able to run the following games:

- World of Warcraft
- Diablo 3
- Dark Souls II (frames were topped to 60fps with and without Xfire anyway, so it didn't really matter, but it worked)
- Elite: Dangerous
- Elder Scrolls Online
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
- Ryse: Son of Rome

Now, this last one was interesting since that's a pretty demanding title and there was a big difference in performance using Xfire, literally doubling the FPS.

Mind that even if your drivers have no Xfire profile for a specific game, you can check the option to use Xfire anyway. Plenty of times, it is working.

Fried Potato

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
I've already played through the story on my PS4, but I'm really interested in buying it, especially for the upcomming mods (real car mods...). :)

How will it run on my iMac do you think? It's a maxed out RiMac.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Do you think this will run on a 2010 iMac 27" with 12Gb RAM. It has a 1Gb ATI Radeon 5750. Currently running Window 10 preview.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.