Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrLlama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all,

I dug my old Mac Pro 1,1 out of storage, and found that I could use standard PC GPUs in it. I've been using an EVGA GTX 680 2G in it for a few weeks, but the lack of a boot screen can be frustrating at times, and I see that it's only running at 8x PCI speed.

Tried flashing it as per the instructions found here http://forum.vrayforc4d.com/index.php?threads/13946/
to no avail. GPU-Z now reports UEFI on the GPU, and NVflash says that the right ROM is on the GPU, but I still get no startup screen!

Any help would be appreciated to alleviate this, I've run out of ideas, and it doesn't seem anyone else on the internet has had this issue!

Thanks.

DrLlama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
Perhaps all know already that's flashing 680 for 1,1 is pointless? :rolleyes:

What makes it pointless? Do you mean that the card is overqualified for the 1,1 or that it just will never show a boot screen?

All the information I've come across is for 2008 and newer Mac Pros, I haven't seen much, if not none for the 2006/7 models, so please forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

DrLlama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
I think the 680 Mac EFI only work on 3,1 or later (due to it's a 64bit EFI card).

Ahh, I see! This didn't occur to me at all! I guess I'll have to stick to putting the X1900 GPU back in if I need the boot screens. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.