Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronlroberts

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
If you can install 10.13.6 on a supported Mac, you just have to replace PlatformSupport.plist for the El Capitan version and add -no_compat_check to com.Apple.Boot.plist, like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v -no_compat_check</string>
</dict>
</plist>

No more problems.

Nice, but sadly I don’t have any supported Macs :(

Zlobnick

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2016
Croatia
Thanks guys for your tips in this thread! I was struggling to get my GTX 1060 work in High Sierra on MacPro 3,1. Everything worked except nVidia web driver, I was having the exact same issues - red login screen and broken acceleration.

I used flashed Radeon 5770 to install and that turned out to be a wrong decision. The script to restore unpatched ATI kexts didn't work, probably because I was installing the latest High Sierra release (10.3.6).

Eventually I reinstalled High Sierra using my old flashed 8800 GT from 1,1 machine, didn't need 5xxx patches in dosdude's installer and now everything works like a dream.

Reactions: LeChat and tsialex

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Sorry to revive a very old thread, but I may soon be gifted a 750 Ti to put in my (nearly free) 3,1.
I presume these issues are still present if I try to install Mojave/Catalina?
Many thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry to revive a very old thread, but I may soon be gifted a 750 Ti to put in my (nearly free) 3,1.
I presume these issues are still present if I try to install Mojave/Catalina?
Many thanks!
GTX 750Ti is Maxwell (GM107), support for it ends with High Sierra.

Mojave/Catalina/BigSur only support NVIDIA Kepler GPUs.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
GTX 750Ti is Maxwell (GM107), support for it ends with High Sierra.

Mojave/Catalina/BigSur only support NVIDIA Kepler GPUs.

Final question - I have an SSD pulled from my 2010 iMac with a High Sierra/Win8 dual boot install. If I put this SSD onto the 3,1 Mac Pro, will this work out of the box with a Radeon 5770?

And to get the GTX750 Ti to work, is the best thing to do then to install El Capitan on another hard drive on the 3,1, and then apply this to the High Sierra install?

If you can install 10.13.6 on a supported Mac, you just have to replace PlatformSupport.plist for the El Capitan version and add -no_compat_check to com.Apple.Boot.plist, like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v -no_compat_check</string>
</dict>
</plist>

No more problems.

Many thanks again!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Final question - I have an SSD pulled from my 2010 iMac with a High Sierra/Win8 dual boot install. If I put this SSD onto the 3,1 Mac Pro, will this work out of the box with a Radeon 5770?

High Sierra needs -no_compat_check on the boot-args to run with a MP3,1.

And to get the GTX750 Ti to work, is the best thing to do then to install El Capitan on another hard drive on the 3,1, and then apply this to the High Sierra install?

Many thanks again!
Maxwell GPUs only work with NVIDIA WEB drivers, please use the search and find what you need to do to install it, no sense to re-write it all over again.

Reactions: r6mile

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
So I now have my GTX 750 Ti, but am in a dilemma...
I was able to install the nVidia Webdrivers, and the card was booting fine but because of the error described by the OP, everything was very laggy.

But @dosdude1 's script to remove the AMD drivers didn't work (as I presume they are for a different version of High Sierra), so I attempted a clean re-install to ensure that the AMD drivers patch are deselected at the start. But the only official Mac card I have is a Radeon 5770 card; deselecting the AMD driver patch then obviously prevents me from booting back into the High Sierra install to apply the nVidia drivers. Bit of a chicken-and-egg situation...

What can I do? Is the only answer to somehow procure an official Mac Geforce card (like the GT120), so I can complete the install? Or is there a way that I could do this without having to buy another card? I am only doing this because I got the GTX750Ti for free, but it's starting to look like more trouble than it's worth...

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
You can boot and run High Sierra perfectly with an Apple 5770.

All you do is install High Sierra over again and run Dos Dude patches.

Do NOT check the legacy graphics drivers check box in the post install patches part.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
You can boot and run High Sierra perfectly with an Apple 5770.

All you do is install High Sierra over again and run Dos Dude patches.

Do NOT check the legacy graphics drivers check box in the post install patches part.

Thank you, but the issue is that I need a clean install in which I do NOT install the AMD drivers (which allow the 5770 to run), otherwise my GTX 750Ti will not run properly (which is my goal). But if I do that, I can't complete the High Sierra installation (because the GTX 750Ti doesn't have the Webdrivers installed yet, so I can't see a picture).

This is exactly the same issue that the OP described, and which @dosdude1 explained here:

These issues are actually due to the fact that you had been using an AMD video card initially. On Mac Pro 3,1 systems running my patcher, it is necessary to patch some of the AMD video drivers to work on that machine, as the native High Sierra drivers require SSE4.2 instructions, which the CPUs used in the Mac Pro 3,1 do not support. This patch causes issues when using other kinds of video cards.

The GTX750TI card works fine under El Capitan - this is an issue just with High Sierra (as others in the thread pointed out).

Maybe the solution is to install High Sierra on another machine with the drive in an enclosure, and then transfer the drive?

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Ok I managed to do it. Complete PITA but at least it looks like it's worked!

1. Using my 2013 Macbook Air, install High Sierra onto SATA SSD in an USB3 enclosure
2. Restore Time Machine backup onto SATA SSD
3. Still using 2013 MBA, install Security Update 2020-004 and nVidia Web Drivers onto SATA SSD
4. Insert Radeon 5770, and SATA SSD onto 3,1 Mac Pro. Boot onto High Sierra patcher and patch the SATA SSD (deselecting AMD drivers)
5. Remove Radeon 5770 and insert Geforce GTX 750 Ti card. Successfully boot onto 3,1 Mac Pro with Geforce card!
6. Clone SATA SSD onto PCIe SSD using Super Duper

(I could have just inserted the AHCI PCIe SSD onto the Macbook Air and installed it more directly, but I wanted to avoid opening the laptop if possible)

iMig

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
Yeah, you just run it using Terminal. If you do a clean install with the AMD card installed, make sure you DESELECT the AMD video card patch when running the post-install tool (as it will automatically be selected if your machine is a Mac Pro 3,1 AND has an AMD card installed that needs the patch), then you won't have to run the script at all.
@dosdude1 Thank you very much for all your awesome work and sorry for bothering but I'm in the same boat. I have High Sierra in my Mac Pro 3.1 installed with your patch, my 5870 died and after I replaced it with a GTX 680 it's glitching like it´s explained here (not in my second monitor with a Radeon 2600 XT so the AMD video card patch is the problem)
Well, running the script didn´t work, terminal output below.
Any idea? I would like to use this 10.13 install without wiping it all… Thanks you

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-04-03 a las 1.19.01.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-03 a las 1.19.01.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

iMig

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
Actually I would not mind to stop using that High Sierra installation (which is my work main boot) if I could import via Migration Assistant from a fresh Catalina boot I have just installed but I'm not sure if it would import the ATI patch issue too. I don' t know, I'm just lost…

iMig

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016
Well, I reinstalled my Dosdude1 patched High Sierra (no clean install) into my Mac Pro 3.1 with the GTX 680 glitching because previously I had applied the ATI patch. Then boot onto High Sierra patcher and passed the Post Install again deselecting AMD drivers. That solved it all. :)

Thank you for all the info and, of course, thank you very much to Dosdude1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.