Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakekzr11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
I have a 2010 Mac Pro (5,1) with two internal hard drives. I have macOS installed on one drive and I formatted a second drive for Windows 10 using a mod of Boot Camp using this method (
). Windows 10 installed just fine and so did the Boot Camp drivers. I purchased a flashed GTX 780 off ebay that I planned to use for macOS and Windows. The card works perfectly in macOS. The problem is when I attempt to install the official nvidia drivers under Windows 10, I get nothing but a black screen during the installation. I'm forced to enter safe mode and uninstall the drivers. I have not been able to successfully install the drivers on my Mac Pro. I also tried the same card in my custom built PC and the drivers are able to work just fine under Windows 10. I am using the latest nvidia driver (as of 4/15/21) and have the wifi and ethernet disconnected when attempting to install the drivers. I also replaced the power supply in my Mac Pro last year, so I feel I've ruled that out as well. I've also tried different configurations of RAM and having only the Windows drive installed in the machine. Furthermore, I've tried every output on the GPU and two different monitors and I've reset the PRAM more times than I can count. Is there something I'm missing or is the card simply defective? If so, I can return it.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I have a 2010 Mac Pro (5,1) with two internal hard drives. I have macOS installed on one drive and I formatted a second drive for Windows 10 using a mod of Boot Camp using this method (
). Windows 10 installed just fine and so did the Boot Camp drivers. I purchased a flashed GTX 780 off ebay that I planned to use for macOS and Windows. The card works perfectly in macOS. The problem is when I attempt to install the official nvidia drivers under Windows 10, I get nothing but a black screen during the installation. I'm forced to enter safe mode and uninstall the drivers. I have not been able to successfully install the drivers on my Mac Pro. I also tried the same card in my custom built PC and the drivers are able to work just fine under Windows 10. I am using the latest nvidia driver (as of 4/15/21) and have the wifi and ethernet disconnected when attempting to install the drivers. I also replaced the power supply in my Mac Pro last year, so I feel I've ruled that out as well. I've also tried different configurations of RAM and having only the Windows drive installed in the machine. Furthermore, I've tried every output on the GPU and two different monitors and I've reset the PRAM more times than I can count. Is there something I'm missing or is the card simply defective? If so, I can return it.
turn the wifi on and let Windows update the drivers. Be patient, eventually the black screen will go off.

jakekzr11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
turn the wifi on and let Windows update the drivers. Be patient, eventually the black screen will go off.
I tried doing that and it worked after about a half hour, but today I tried to start up using Windows and I got the dreaded black screen again. Any more suggestions?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I tried doing that and it worked after about a half hour, but today I tried to start up using Windows and I got the dreaded black screen again. Any more suggestions?
I found out that normally leaving it on will eventually turn on the screen at some point.

assoc

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
Huh, I've been having a similar issue after upgrading the GPU in my 7,1. I'll have to give "let it sit for a really long time" a try.

jakekzr11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
I found out that normally leaving it on will eventually turn on the screen at some point.
I let it sit for over 6 hours while I was at work today, still nothing. Was forced to force shut down and enter safe mode

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I let it sit for over 6 hours while I was at work today, still nothing. Was forced to force shut down and enter safe mode
It probably never even booted completely. In such a case you need to force reboot. What I meant was whenever booted sometimes it loses the output during driver installation.

jakekzr11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
It probably never even booted completely. In such a case you need to force reboot. What I meant was whenever booted sometimes it loses the output during driver installation.
Right, and after Windows installed the driver and the screen went black for a while, it did work. But when I rebooted, the black screen came back. I get the Windows boot screen, but then the screen just turns black after it finishes loading.

jakekzr11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
A better question might be, why does this happen only on my Mac Pro under Windows, but not my PC with the same card?

mark.salam

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
Wondering if this ever got sorted out? I am experiencing very much the same thing with a GTX 680. I’ve tried everything I can think of. Basically I get a Windows logo then black screen for something like 30 minutes then screen turns on and all works quite well. Any help would be much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.