Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I've a flashed GTX680 in my MacPro, which is working fine under OSX (Mojave), including Bootscreen.

Now I need Windows 10 for HomeOffice, so I tried to install it.
Everything is working until I install the NVIDIA Driver, this will end in a black screen.

Any Idea how I can fix it?

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
I've a flashed GTX680 in my MacPro, which is working fine under OSX (Mojave), including Bootscreen.

Now I need Windows 10 for HomeOffice, so I tried to install it.
Everything is working until I install the NVIDIA Driver, this will end in a black screen.

Any Idea how I can fix it?

I had this issue as well. Have a flashed gtx680 but then turned that into pc rom. That is the only way i solved that issue.

But if you use the windows in CSM mode not EFI, it should work with flashed mac efi gtx680

This issue occurs with EFI install.

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I had this issue as well. Have a flashed gtx680 but then turned that into pc rom. That is the only way i solved that issue.

But if you use the windows in CSM mode not EFI, it should work with flashed mac efi gtx680

This issue occurs with EFI install.

Is Impossible to install Windows in CSM mode on the same SSD like OSX Mojave?

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
I've contacted EVGA and asked, why the GTX 680 doesn't work with Windows 10 on a Mac Pro. They told me, that it is requiring the latest UEFi-vBIOS to work.

Is it possible to flash the latest BIOS from EVGA hompage on an ASUS GTX 680 without any changes or does it need modifications? Can anybody help me?

hknatm

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2018
I've contacted EVGA and asked, why the GTX 680 doesn't work with Windows 10 on a Mac Pro. They told me, that it is requiring the latest UEFi-vBIOS to work.

Is it possible to flash the latest BIOS from EVGA hompage on an ASUS GTX 680 without any changes or does it need modifications? Can anybody help me?

They should direct us the right location i have problems with gpu coz of that driver problem. If you will use gtx680 on efi windows with loosing boot screen. I can send gou rom that i am using currently.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

You can try here. I user is offering help:
Or try this:

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
All I need ist a working Windows in the Mac Pro with GTX 680 running. Loosing the boot screen ist no option...

If it is running Windows 7, 8, 8,1 or 10 doesn't matter... Only the graphic card must be supported...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
All I need ist a working Windows in the Mac Pro with GTX 680 running. Loosing the boot screen ist no option...

If it is running Windows 7, 8, 8,1 or 10 doesn't matter... Only the graphic card must be supported...
Use a dedicated SATA SSD for Windows, install Windows 10 via CSM mode (DVD install). Use this instructions:

Anything else you will lose something, GTX 680 Mac Edition firmware don't support with UEFI installs, updated firmware from eVGA don't have pre-boot configuration support.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
this guy asked in the german macuser.de forum the same question and ignored effectively all information about csm mode.

Even more, he gave false information saying he was in csm mode but in reality he used UEFI mode for what he needs a uefi gop boot screen.

He was told about the chance to brick the firmware with certs filling the nvram stream also.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
this guy asked in the german macuser.de forum the same question and ignored effectively all information about csm mode.

Even more, he gave false information saying he was in csm mode but in reality he used UEFI mode for what he needs a uefi gop boot screen.

He was told about the chance to brick the firmware with certs filling the nvram stream also.
It's very difficult to help people that don't want to be helped.

Seems he wants that someone here updates the GOP driver inside Mac edition firmware. Good luck with that, no one capable of doing it will do this task for free. It's not easy, documentation lacks where the checksums and free space indicator of the Option ROM are done.

lukesky333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020

That's not true, I didn't ignore "all information", I just tried everything to install Windows on the MacPro. I am not a Mac user and it is a little different to install something on a Mac than on a normal PC.

I was sure to install in CSM. When I checked the installation tutorial again and found that the build stick was for UEFI. I corrected it and the installation worked. But the problem with the graphics card remains ...
[automerge]1586509431[/automerge]
Use a dedicated SATA SSD for Windows, install Windows 10 via CSM mode (DVD install). Use this instructions:

Anything else you will lose something, GTX 680 Mac Edition firmware don't support with UEFI installs, updated firmware from eVGA don't have pre-boot configuration support.

The problem is, I don't have a free slot for another SSD on the Mac Pro and no free SSD at home. But if it is the only solution, I can't install Windows on this Mac.

Seems he wants that someone here updates the GOP driver inside Mac edition firmware. Good luck with that, no one capable of doing it will do this task for free. It's not easy, documentation lacks where the checksums and free space indicator of the Option ROM are done.

No, I'm not asking anyone to update the driver for me. I asked if there are newer ROM files than from 2014.

As it seems there are none. Apparently I'm the only one who has such problems.

I was hoping for help here. Many thanks to everyone who tried to help me.
Should anyone have any ideas, I would still be grateful.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
250 GB, even a Spinner is good enough for Win10

Beneath the dvd Drive is an empty sata connector.

Burn a DVD, follow the instructions you got from macuser or from macrumors.

If the people of the forums ask for important data points it is important to check them.

Doing not will lead to frustration on the helper and on the asker side.

I just booted a win10 installation with a gtx680 and uga Firmware (Mac EFI Bootscreen) and it runs well, even with the lastest ms updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.