Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
If you had a choice which would you take with cellular data speed ?

That if it was even possible for guaranteed speed in the future.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't like being yanked around by speeds that are sometimes fast then sometimes slow.

So, a guaranteed (but slower) speed. I can plan around that.

Reactions: max2

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The real question is, how much are you willing to pay? Guaranteed internet speed, even a fixed landline, is expensive, since it IS expensive to prioritize packets as most ISPs are over capacity to reach economies of scale and make a profit. Cellular is even more expensive as frequency bands are limited.

In my city, a 30mbps home internet is around ~$30 a month. Obviously that's best effort, no guarantees. Meanwhile, a dedicated business internet of also 30mbps can cost around $400 a month or higher.

Reactions: eyoungren and max2

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
As long as I can obtain LTE speeds and stream HD video smoothly with no buffering issues, I don’t care how fast my connection is. 4G has been amazing since I began using it in 2016. I still remember the days, back in 2014, when I was in complete awe watching someone stream a high quality video via cellular on their phone.

Reactions: max2

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The real question is, how much are you willing to pay? Guaranteed internet speed, even a fixed landline, is expensive, since it IS expensive to prioritize packets as most ISPs are over capacity to reach economies of scale and make a profit. Cellular is even more expensive as frequency bands are limited.

In my city, a 30mbps home internet is around ~$30 a month. Obviously that's best effort, no guarantees. Meanwhile, a dedicated business internet of also 30mbps can cost around $400 a month or higher.
I pay Cox $135 a month for Gigabit speeds and unlimited data. Not sure what my employer pays, but I know it's slower.

I work form home and deal with multiple large files so that's why I pay extra for UD. Cox has a 1.2TB monthly cap without it and I'm usually right around in that range.

Earlier this week I dropped TV altogether from Cox (that was $179 a month) and now I'm streaming TV every day so I know my data usage is going to go up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.