Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Saw it and really enjoyed it. A fun flick! Really I've liked all the MCU flilms I've seen so far.

Some good acting there, Zoe Seldana looks hot, I was strangely intrigued by Nebula, oh Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) how strange you have become. :p

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Saw it and really enjoyed it. A fun flick! Really I've liked all the MCU flilms I've seen so far.

Some good acting there, Zoe Seldana looks hot, I was strangely intrigued by Nebula, oh Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) how strange you have become. :p

woah…
Karen-Gillan-lg-02.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Huntn and rhett7660

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
15May2023- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3: Rotten Tomatoes rating Audience-94%, Critics- 82%! Pending Vol.3, this has been one of the best Marvel Franchises IMO. Should see it this week.

0DCE10FA-7CCA-45B5-B588-3C8887A7E51E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

brandon87

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Phoenix
I introduced myself to Marvel with the 1st Guardians move when it was released so I will always love these films more than any other marvel film / super hero.

This one was great, I enjoyed the character development thru the movies and was not disappointed with this film.

Nebula was a stand out this film along with Rocket and Groot.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched it on Sunday - great film. Brilliant way to see out a franchise.
Sad, funny, action-packed. Everything you want from a GoTG movie.

I introduced myself to Marvel with the 1st Guardians move when it was released so I will always love these films more than any other marvel film / super hero.

This one was great, I enjoyed the character development thru the movies and was not disappointed with this film.

Nebula was a stand out this film along with Rocket and Groot.

The beginning of the first Guardians with Peter as a child with his dying mother, and fleeing just to be abducted in such an unexpected manner was brilliant. Then flash 26 years to Morag and Quill dramatically putting on a Walkman headset so he can dance though a dead civilization punting wamp rats, seeking treasure reminiscent of Indiana Jones. The first video brilliantly illustrates how the director can build drama that slides into humor.

I’ll admit, I was initially off balance because of the high humor quotient, but I quickly adapted to this vision which was greatly helped by the wide array of great music from my youth and young adulthood.

Vol2 excerpt Come A Little Bit Closer​

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Guardians Vol 3- just saw it, going to give it a ”C”. As someone who loved the previous 2 volumes, I’m prepared to say it is a good movie, however, I won’t really know if it is possible to love until after I stream it for a second viewing.

BF1F0145-F752-4447-8B56-03A8FFB501F3.jpeg
  • All of the characters have evolved except maybe for Drax, which is ok by me. ;)
  • It‘s a departure from the previous volumes because it is dark involving genetic manipulation and torture, but not for tortures sake, but for science and the goals of one powerful individual Who wants to reshape the universe. Sound familiar? 🤔
  • It is so dark, most of the humor injected feels out of place. Some viewers will likely disagree with me about how dark it is.
  • The plot is fairly simple, but the implementation of elements is messy. I did not care for some of the choices made in writing regarding created species and civilizations.
  • There is one impressive choreographed CGI fight scene, if you can be impressed by that. :)
  • I did not like the more modern selection of music.
  • They did an excellent job of making it clear this is not the same Gamora that died in Infinity War.
  • If you remember the reference to Adam in the Vol2 post-credit scene, both he and Ayesha of the Sovereign are there.
  • Speculation about Vol4 :

Last edited:
Reactions: jaw04005

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Guardians Vol3- just saw it, going to give it a ”C”. As someone who loved the previous 2 volumes, I’m prepared to say it is a good movie, however, I won’t really know if it is possible to love until after I stream it For a second viewing.

• All of the characters have evolved except maybe for Drax, which is ok by me. ;)
  • It‘s a departure from the previous volumes because it is dark involving genetic manipulation and torture, but not for tortures sake, but for science and the goals of one powerful individual Who wants to reshape the universe. Sound familiar? 🤔
  • It is so dark, most of the humor injected feels out of place. Some viewers will likely disagree with me about how dark it is.
  • The plot is fairly simple, but the implementation of elements is messy. I did not care for some of the choices made in writing regarding created species and civilizations.
  • There is one impressive choreographed CGI fight scene, if you can be impressed by that. :)
  • They did an excellent job of making it clear this is not the same Gamora that died in Infinity War.
  • if you remember the reference to Adam in the Vol2 post-credit scene, both he and Ayesha of the Sovereign are there.

It is very dark... I agree with that completely. I really liked it for the most part. A solid "B" for me when it comes to Marvel movies. There were a few times that we thought it wasn't going to end well for some of our favorites characters. I didn't brush up against the modern music, as there was some throwbacks sprinkled in.

The wife pointed out, that they started with "Come and Get Your Love" and they ended with it. Loved it!

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Guardians Vol3- just saw it, going to give it a ”C”. As someone who loved the previous 2 volumes, I’m prepared to say it is a good movie, however, I won’t really know if it is possible to love until after I stream it For a second viewing.

So is it going to be one of those movies that if you see it in the Guide, you will go to it just to see where it is?

The first two are like that for sure.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is very dark... I agree with that completely. I really liked it for the most part. A solid "B" for me when it comes to Marvel movies. There were a few times that we thought it wasn't going to end well for some of our favorites characters. I didn't brush up against the modern music, as there was some throwbacks sprinkled in.

The wife pointed out, that they started with "Come and Get Your Love" and they ended with it. Loved it!
Someone somewhere, said ‘it was all over the place”. I think this refers to the seriousness vs humor which in most cases did not mix well, as in make your mind up about what kind of story you want to tell countered by: We are telling this serious story, but our viewers expect humor… :) Of the 3 movies this is my least favorite at least for now.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Someone somewhere, said ‘it was all over the place”. I think this refers to the seriousness vs humor which in most cases did not mix well, as in make your mind up about what kind of story you want to tell countered by: We are telling this serious story, but our viewers expect humor… :) Of the 3 movies this is my least favorite at least for now.

Ours too. I did like it, but not as much as the previous two. If they would have stuck with the seriousness and left out a majority of the humor, I think we would have had one heck of a movie. The content and topics touched upon were pretty brutal.

• Love

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’m not sure what you mean.
If you are channel surfing and see it in the guide, you'll watch it no matter where it is in the movie. For me, I would just go find it digitally. Like GotG, I would go to Disney+

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I’m not sure what you mean.

Let's say you are just sitting on the couch flipping through the Guide looking for something to watch.

If I see a GotG movie, I will go to it just because they are good movies that you can watch over and over.

Is V3 one that will cause you to watch a few minutes of it because it was good.

Think of the Star Wars movies. I will usually tune to 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8. Won't just tune to 3, 5 or 9 because they kind of sucked.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let's say you are just sitting on the couch flipping through the Guide looking for something to watch.

If I see a GotG movie, I will go to it just because they are good movies that you can watch over and over.

Is V3 one that will cause you to watch a few minutes of it because it was good.

Think of the Star Wars movies. I will usually tune to 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8. Won't just tune to 3, 5 or 9 because they kind of sucked.
Dude! 5 did not suck! :D

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
For those movies that are really bad, I used to say, I would wait for it hit "Channel 5" in my local area. It was always the channel that had the "C" and "D" movies on. Raw Head Rex any one or The Car... those were some of the first movies I remember seeing on our "Channel 5".

They used to have weeks where they would do nothing buy Sci-Fi movies or horror movies, or pick a genre of movies lol.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
For those movies that are really bad, I used to say, I would wait for it hit "Channel 5" in my local area. It was always the channel that had the "C" and "D" movies on. Raw Head Rex any one or The Car... those were some of the first movies I remember seeing on our "Channel 5".

They used to have weeks where they would do nothing buy Sci-Fi movies or horror movies, or pick a genre of movies lol.

When I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, the local UHF station would have a "creature feature" thing on Saturday afternoons, with all kinds of 50s and 60s monster movies. A lot of the same kind of movies I now see mocked on MST3K and RiffTrax.

• Love
Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Did you live in the Wash DC area?

When I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, the local UHF station would have a "creature feature" thing on Saturday afternoons, with all kinds of 50s and 60s monster movies. A lot of the same kind of movies I now see mocked on MST3K and RiffTrax.
When I was growing up in the DC suburbs during that late 60s, early 70s, the local station 5, non affiliated with the big 3, used to have monster movies from mostly the 50s on Tuesday and Thursday nights, if I remember right titled, The World Beyond. I used to fight my parents to stay up to watch them. :D

Reactions: Rafterman

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Did you live in the Wash DC area?

When I was growing up in the DC suburbs during that late 60s, early 70s, the local station 5, non affiliated with the big 3, used to have monster movies from mostly the 50s on Tuesday and Thursday nights, if I remember right titled, The World Beyond. I used to fight my parents to stay up to watch them. :D

Neg,,,, Southern California. They would have entire weeks of this stuff! It was freaking great stuff! We used to also the creature feature late night on Saturday's too. Was usually like channel 9 or 11...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Neg,,,, Southern California. They would have entire weeks of this stuff! It was freaking great stuff! We used to also the creature feature late night on Saturday's too. Was usually like channel 9 or 11...
I loved San Diego where we lived in Rancho Penasquitos (sp?) for a year in 1980. I commented that based on population numbers, California likely was even more wonderful in the 1940-60s, before the crowds descended to populate the area.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Guardians Vol 3- just saw it, going to give it a ”C”. As someone who loved the previous 2 volumes, I’m prepared to say it is a good movie, however, I won’t really know if it is possible to love until after I stream it for a second viewing.

• If you remember the reference to Adam in the Vol2 post-credit scene, both he and Ayesha of the Sovereign are there.

Watched GotG3 a second time. B-
  • Rocket’s backstory is worthy.
  • Ravager Gamora is worthy.
  • Quill’s attempts to reconnect with Gamora are worthy.
  • This is a serious story.
  • Jumping back and forth between being funny and serious did not work.
  • The High Evolutionary was a disappointment.
  • Kick ass group fight.
  • I did not like Alt-Earth and question if any superior intelligence would make a society of creatures with mixed and matched parts just because. It felt like oh the audience will laugh at this. 🤔
  • The end was good but this is not a story I’m eager to watch again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.