Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
For users or developers of current Tiger builds and knowledge. I am wondering how you feel/think the final Tiger will run on a G4 dual 1.25 with 1.5 RAM and the Radeon 9200 Pro 64 DDR?

Just curious if I should upgrade my Mac... thanks for any input on this matter.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
It should run on a G3 iMac.

Someone will come out with a hacked installer after a few weeks to allow it to be installed on a Power Mac 7200.

It will be faster than Panther.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
It should be as fast if not faster than Jaguar. It will work on any G3 with FireWire. Some older models might be able to hack it to work.

I hope they change the blue ends on the menu bar they look idiotic, keep the blue Apple icon button on the menu bar and make the magnifying glass blue like the Apple icon in the menu bar. :)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
m a y a said:
I hope they change the blue ends on the menu bar they look idiotic, keep the blue Apple icon button on the menu bar and make the magnifying glass blue like the Apple icon in the menu bar. :)

if i remember correctly, the blue ends have always been there during beta... can anyone confirm this?

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
JFreak said:
if i remember correctly, the blue ends have always been there during beta... can anyone confirm this?

Er... no they haven't. Also the corners are not blue at all anymore. They're a sleek graphite. (as of 8a294)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
They use the (first blue and now graphite) colour for the "Spotlight" menu.
IMHO a simple black icon representing a magnifying glass would look better.
These Spotlight and matching Apple-menu colours are too striking in their presence.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
.... A dual 1.25ghz powermac is still a wicked fast machine. It should run Tiger more then good enough.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
MacsRgr8 said:
Escpecially with a CoreImage compatible grfx crad (i.e. Radeon 9700 or 9800).

Core Image acts like a Co-Processor and is mainly beneficial with lower clocked chips. The dual G5 2.5Ghz is by no means requires Core Image as a Co-Processor its fast on its own. If you do not have a Core Image compatible card don't worry all this means is that the Processor will only have to work harder. Thats all. And some wizz bang effects might be omitted too however no big deal at the current pace of GPU advancements a 128MB GPU will be stock by sometime next year (2005). Don't worry about it too much. :)

metfoo

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2002
MacsRgr8 said:
They use the (first blue and now graphite) colour for the "Spotlight" menu.
IMHO a simple black icon representing a magnifying glass would look better.
These Spotlight and matching Apple-menu colours are too striking in their presence.

i am on tiger right now (build 8a323). I hated the blue, but the graphite looks much much better. I also love the new pinstipeless menubar. looks much much better that previous generations.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Mechcozmo said:
I hope that's true. Apple's Tiger page is very circumspect on that. Doesn't even list operating requirements at all.

I realize that's because things are not final yet, but it did make me wonder. I don't expect CoreImage to work on my old snow iMac, of course, but I still want Tiger.

gost8go

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
Mechcozmo said:

Someone will come out with a hacked installer after a few weeks to allow it to be installed on a Power Mac 7200.

It will be faster than Panther.

Really? I was thinking about timecapsuling my G3 iBook 600 MHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.