Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
On a 27" iMac everything becomes so small. What is mostly irritating is the so small text in the GUI of the OS. For example, when copying files, i can barely see the text in the copying tab that pops up, have to either squint or get close to the display to read the text clear.
Has there been any try, in newer OS's than ELCap, that im working on, to improve this?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I don't remember exactly in El Capitan, but I think it's similar to High Sierra. Try this: go to System Preferences-->Displays and the "Display" tab (not "Color"). Select "Scaled". I think you'll get a window like my image below (from High Sierra). Pick the lower listed resolutions, and everything in the GUI should look larger.

Mojave is slightly different, IIRC, and gives options for "larger text" in the Displays preference pane.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.55.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.55.55 PM.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 82

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Choosing a diff resolution will create larger text but it also will lower the quality of what is seen (things become more blurry) as the native resolution changes.
Regarding Mojave, are you referring to a way that only text can be altered without having the screen resolution to change, and have the quality downgrade as I described?
Any screenshot of that option?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Choosing a diff resolution will create larger text but it also will lower the quality of what is seen (things become more blurry) as the native resolution changes.
Regarding Mojave, are you referring to a way that only text can be altered without having the screen resolution to change
On iOS, that feature is called "Dynamic Type" (Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size). So presumably if that feature ever comes to macOS it will use the same name.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
But it hasn't come yet? Not even to the latest version?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Regarding Mojave, are you referring to a way that only text can be altered without having the screen resolution to change, and have the quality downgrade as I described?
Any screenshot of that option?
No, I guess it's not what you're looking for, just a different way to present the same scaling options. In Mojave:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.00.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 5.00.27 PM.png
    207 KB · Views: 85

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Suppose that a file is being copied, is the text of the copying tab (that opens and is showing the copying process) effected by the ability of the scale settings?

Last edited:

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I believe the answer is yes, the scale settings affect the text size in the "copying tab" window, but they also affect the other UI elements (for example, title bar height and red-yellow-green button diameters), as shown in the screenshot (where it shows examples of "Larger text" and "More space"). I think it just does the same thing as the scaled resolutions in High Sierra (or, I think El Capitan) -- just presents the options to the user without numbers. So as far as I know, you won't gain any visual options that will help you by upgrading.

I really don't understand why you don't pick a lower resolution and scale everything larger. That's what I've always done when I've had difficulty reading text in the UI (and i have had similar difficulty!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.