Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FirstTimeMacUse

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
This is the message i get:

/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 1: {rtf1ansiansicpg1252cocoartf1343cocoasubrtf160: command not found
/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 2: `{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Consolas;}'
logout

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
This is the message i get:

/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 1: {rtf1ansiansicpg1252cocoartf1343cocoasubrtf160: command not found
/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/Users/********/Downloads/DarkBoot.command: line 2: `{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Consolas;}'
logout

You're saving the file as a rich text file and not plain text.

Just download this: https://github.com/w0lfschild/DarkBoot/releases/download/1.0.2/DarkBoot.command.zip

FirstTimeMacUse

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
Almost there. Your tekst works, thanks for that. Now a password ?!?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Converting boot.efi to hex
Checking boot.efi hex for your ID
Your board ID already exists in boot.efi
Would you like to REMOVE your ID? (y/n): y
Your board ID will now be nulled
Replacing boot.efi and cleaning up /tmp

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove id or not?

Tried both passwords....weird..

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Almost there. Your tekst works, thanks for that. Now a password ?!?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Converting boot.efi to hex
Checking boot.efi hex for your ID
Your board ID already exists in boot.efi
Would you like to REMOVE your ID? (y/n): y
Your board ID will now be nulled
Replacing boot.efi and cleaning up /tmp

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove id or not?

Tried both passwords....weird..

Only you would know your admin password. I can't help you with that.

dkumfx

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
Guys sory.. OOT
btw i'm on hackintosh with chamelon boot and no luck after i try on the 1st page :(

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I wonder what they did that makes it not work. I'll try putting it into hopper and see if I can find. @w0lf have you looked into that at all?

I think it might be possible to change the background color in a different way than altering the IDs stored in the boot file.

This article provides some interesting information (although it's not very descriptive and it's old):

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2006/05/31/boot_image_intel/

Guys sory.. OOT
btw i'm on hackintosh with chamelon boot and no luck after i try on the 1st page :(

If my script didn't work then try this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/customiza...lack-stretched-boots-no-more-hex-editing.html

guitaka123

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
wake up problem

I made everything works , but when I close the lid macs gonna sleeps .. alright , but when I open the lid , a black screen appear and freeze about one minute until the login screen shows up. how can i fix it ?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I made everything works , but when I close the lid macs gonna sleeps .. alright , but when I open the lid , a black screen appear and freeze about one minute until the login screen shows up. how can i fix it ?

Probably can't fix it assuming that the bug is caused by the old efi. Try uninstalling, if the issue persists then it has nothing to do with the efi and just coincidently you started experiencing the issue around the same time.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Once again I re-wrote the script and now I've made it into a little application.

The major change is based on this article. Instead of editing the default efi I just make another one at /dboot and bless that. I also wrote a login item so it can check if the efi you want is blessed each login.

I'm assuming a GUI is a little easier for people than a terminal script. :cool:

At this point it's super basic. I still haven't looked much into editing current efi vs using old one.

Download here: https://github.com/w0lfschild/DarkBoot/releases/latest

Last edited:

HRazakee

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
So i finally success executing the dark boot terminal script after using Onyx to delete some caches, which previously failed.

The cursor appear before the loading bar finished, is it normal?

10tacleBoy

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
It still does work with the final release. You need to reboot twice until you see the black screen.

HRazakee

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
I've tried the GUI Version several times, does not work.
While the Script Command Version, it does give me the succesful message in Terminal, but the last thing happened was I got the Question Mark Folder upon boot, and I tried twice with result need to repair disk so I can login.. ...

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Can you confirm/deny if this works in the latest build (14C106a) of 10.10.2?

Haven't had any luck getting it to work on two different Macs.

Yeah the bless method wasn't working for some amount of people. I've changed the app back to using the old replace coreservices boot.efi method and it should be working for everyone again.

Last edited:

HRazakee

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Yeah I the bless method wasn't working for some amount of people. I've changed the app back to using the old replace coreservices boot.efi method and it should be working for everyone again.

God Bless you, it's working again :D

mortiis

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
error in black boot when i open it

Yeah the bless method wasn't working for some amount of people. I've changed the app back to using the old replace coreservices boot.efi method and it should be working for everyone again.

i get this error when i open your application

it says
the following line is neither a comment, nor does it contain a valid command:

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 254

phatan

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Not working

Hi, the bootfix.command usually worked for me up until the last update (10.10.3).

I tried the app, but it's giving me that same error like the dudes' above.

Now if I try bootfix.command, my macbook (mid-2012 / 9,2) just boots into a grey screen with a folder with a question mark. Needed Time Machine to get out of that mess.

Any suggestions, O mac gurus?

grizzlayleslay

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
Just chiming in confirming that the last release of DarkBoot.app does not work on the current build of 10.10.3.

Upon starting the app, a prompt appears with the following message:

"the following line is neither a comment, nor does it contain a valid command:
default"

Additionally, following the terminal commands on the GitHub site renders my MacBook 5,2 partition of 10.10.3 unusable as it only boots into recovery. Repairing the Disk and the Permissions via Disk Utility resolves this issue, however.....somehow.

I can understand how cool it would be to have the dark boot screen, it makes no sense that Apple wouldn't make this the standard on all devices. But it is what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.