Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Boonie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Does anyone have a guide or a walk-through to making sure AT&T doesn't trick me into a tiered plan if I pre-order the phone through the Apple site? I've googled a million blogs on it and none of them tell you how to do it through the website. Most say you should go in person. But what if you can't (Due to time and distance constraints)? Surely there must be a way to make sure you don't click the wrong button and end up with a bucket-o-data.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Does anyone have a guide or a walk-through to making sure AT&T doesn't trick me into a tiered plan if I pre-order the phone through the Apple site? I've googled a million blogs on it and none of them tell you how to do it through the website. Most say you should go in person. But what if you can't (Due to time and distance constraints)? Surely there must be a way to make sure you don't click the wrong button and end up with a bucket-o-data.

When I ordered my 4s through Apple Store online, the plan I currently have (unlimited data) just "transferred" over. There was nothing special I had to do. This time, though, I plan on buying my iPhone 5s at AT&T's store. Made this decision 2 years ago. I ordered my 4s online and had to wait for shipping. Meanwhile, out of curiosity, I just walked into an AT&T store on launch day and could have picked up the exact same model I ordered from Apple and had to wait on. Since Apple had tied up my account I wasn't able to get it at AT&T on launch day. Lesson learned ;)

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Did a test run the other day using Apple Store app by putting a 5C in the shopping cart and voila!, my unlimited data was listed as the default plan.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
I did the same thing. I don't have unlimited data, but I have a Corporate discount, and when I pre-ordered the 5c for my wife, everything just transferred over.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I preordered my 4S last time using the AT&T app they had. Select my new phone and it stayed w my current plan. So the AT&T website might be another way to consider getting one.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
I've upgraded on the Internet with both AT&T and Apple with the grand fathered unlimited data plan and didn't have to do anything special.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Did a test run the other day using Apple Store app by putting a 5C in the shopping cart and voila!, my unlimited data was listed as the default plan.

Wow, amazing what you can discover by simply doing a mock order of a similar device. :cool:

Technically its possible that the 5s may be different than the 5c, but there's nothing to suggest that might be the case.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 130

Jim Boonie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Wow, amazing what you can discover by simply doing a mock order of a similar device. :cool:

Technically its possible that the 5s may be different than the 5c, but there's nothing to suggest that might be the case.

Interesting. I was poking through the AT&T (I'm on a work plan) site and maybe the Apple site is the way to go.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Interesting. I was poking through the AT&T (I'm on a work plan) site and maybe the Apple site is the way to go.

Order from Apple if you can.

Although I've only bought one iphone at launch, I've witnessed the 4/4s/5 launches. Based on what I've seen reported here it seems orders through Apple go smoother with fewer hiccups such as delayed shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.