Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
How to downgrade from iOS 15 beta to iOS 14 without losing any data:
  1. Backup your iOS 15 iPhone to your computer (not to iCloud) just to be safe
  2. Download the latest iOS 14 ipsw from Apple's servers using Developer portal, or https://ipsw.me
  3. In Finder/iTunes: Option-click the Update button (not Restore) and choose the ipsw you just downloaded
  4. Follow the prompts and wait for it to complete
At this point you'll be back on iOS 14 with all your data intact. ✨

But we're not yet finished.

Some system apps will be misbehaving: Messages, App Store, maybe others. Let's fix that.
  1. Backup your phone running iOS 14 to your computer (not to iCloud)
  2. Wipe and setup the iPhone as new
  3. Using Finder on your computer restore the iOS 14 backup you just made
  4. You're done! You're running 14 with all your data intact and all apps working perfectly.
Notes:
  • Apps will reinstall after the iPhone restarts
  • You may need to log out of iCloud, and then log back in, to get Messages to sync
Warnings:
  • Ignore other guides about modifying backup plist files
  • Ignore other guides about side-loading fake "downgrader" apps that require you to click on offers/ads
  • TimFL1 for final backup/wipe/restore step

Last edited:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
If you want to be sure that everything works correctly, make a new backup of your 14.6 install and then wipe & reinstall the OS completely. After that restore your backup.

The more under-the-hood changes a release brings, the higher the chance that something does not work as intended anymore when you downgrade. I had like 5 downgrades in my testing life and all of them introduced certain quirks I only got rid of by reinstalling.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I'll keep it in mind if anything seems to not work.

I'll certainly not do it pre-emptively because it will take hours. The downgrade process above took mere minutes.

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
@TimFL1 just wanted to say thank you, I just completed the backup iOS 14, wipe to new phone, restore from backup of iOS 14 process. App Store and Messages were not working correctly, and this solved it for me.

I've updated my guide above. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: TimFL1

Darkbandit

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
South Carolina
So I figured out about the error and got passed it when I tried a different computer. Now the problem is that I can't do a backup to my computer because I get "Could not back up the iPad because an error occurred." I have tried different cables, different ports and stumped.

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
So I figured out about the error and got passed it when I tried a different computer. Now the problem is that I can't do a backup to my computer because I get "Could not back up the iPad because an error occurred." I have tried different cables, different ports and stumped.
Similarly my back up failed. I was using iMazing which gives a more detailed error message but the result is the same. Without being able to do a backup/restore some Apple apps such as Pages and Numbers were complaining they could not see iCloud.

While I have often used this method to revert to earlier point releases I don’t recommend it for reverting from 15 to 14.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I can't seem to find the Ipad Pro 12.9 Gen 3 IPSW files on that site? Is there a way to get the correct file for that model, or are they no longer available or signed.

REALLY need to downgrade, hopefully, without losing all data or having to do full restore (edit backup file hack). but just can't keep using Safari on ios 15 right now, and so many banking and trading apps just don't work at all in ios 15 right now.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes, I was looking for a "3rd Gen" label, but I guess these are it. What is odd is that when I type in the Model number A18xx, it brings up the cellular, 1TB version which is odd.. but I guess I'll just pick the wifi only model, since that is what I have.
its odd that these instructions would indicate that all the PLIST editing that others say is necessary AREN'T necessary for a downgrade with data saving. I can restore the backup AFTER doing a downgrade which seems sneaky backdoor to getting back to stable stated. But god, seems totally necessary at this point with so many apps I need just totally not working.

Reactions: msephton

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Is there some other step required here? I have connected my ipad to mac, itunes. Option click "check for updates" and it pulls up finder window. Select the downloaded file and click OPEN, but nothing happens from there?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Is there some other step required here? I have connected my ipad to mac, itunes. Option click "check for updates" and it pulls up finder window. Select the downloaded file and click OPEN, but nothing happens from there?
Maybe check to see that the file isn’t corrupted by verifying that the MD5sum or SHA1sum matches the one on the site.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Does the phone have to be in recovery mode or something? Or is it possibly the RESTORE button that one needs to click on and then the IPSW file. I’m not really sure why option clicking “check for update” and selecting the file seems to initiate nothing.

Or, does one have to remove the beta profile first before any steps?
Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I would remove the beta profile.

And just take it slow and steady! All your messages sound like you're having a panic attack.

The instructions in the OP are correct: I wrote them as I was downgrading my SE 2020.

Check you've got the absolute correct, verified ipsw.

No plist editing required. Just follow the steps.

In short you're doing an update to older firmware (allowed by Apple during betas) followed by a backup and restore. Nothing complicated or sneaky at all.

Last edited:

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
But, a warning to all. 4.7 is out and with all the bug fixes apparently in it, it’s not going to be very long before 4.6 is no longer signed by Apple.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I would remove the beta profile.

And just take it slow and steady! All your messages sound like you're having a panic attack.

The instructions in the OP are correct: I wrote them as I was downgrading my SE 2020.

Check you've got the absolute correct, verified ipsw.

No plist editing required. Just follow the steps.

In short you're doing an update to older firmware (allowed by Apple during betas) followed by a backup and restore. Nothing complicated or sneaky at all.
Yes, I DO hate if that much. ;-)

I wonder though if iTunes THINKS it’s the wrong IPSW, since when I put in the model ID on that site, it presents a different IPSW file to use than the IPad Pro 3, WIFI model like I have.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Man, I just cannot get this to take at all. Not sure if the issue is that this is the Public Beta ios 15/v3, or trying to do the update on a mac running High Sierra, and itunes?

When I pull down the IPSQ for the Ipad Pro 3 (wifi) which is what this is, that file does nothing when I select it, when option clicking on Check for Update and selecting it.

When I check on the IPSW site and put in the Model number A1876, that site brings up a different IPSW, the Ipad Pro 3 (Wifi, 1TB model) but this is only 64GB model. so, I am concerned to try THAT IPSW. Also, my model is Ipad8,5, and that model (the 1TB model) shows ipad8,6

One questions nobody has answered is, does the ipad have to be in RECOVERY mode to do this?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
One questions nobody has answered is, does the ipad have to be in RECOVERY mode to do this?
You don’t need to be in recovery mode. Putting it in recovery mode will give you only the restore option, which erases your device. (This is where the plist modification trick comes into play so you can get your data back from a backup.)

I just tried out the initial steps on mine (I'm using Big Sur). A prompt appeared telling me that it will update to iPadOS 14.7 when I selected a valid IPSW file. Or if I selected a bad IPSW file, then a prompt appeared stating it could not be updated because the file is not compatible. It seems like you should be getting one of these two prompts. Have you waited a few minutes or longer just in case it's slow processing? Perhaps this just doesn't work the same way in High Sierra or the version of iTunes you're using (and have to do the restore/recovery mode method and plist trick).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Man, I just cannot get this to take at all. Not sure if the issue is that this is the Public Beta ios 15/v3, or trying to do the update on a mac running High Sierra, and itunes?

When I pull down the IPSQ for the Ipad Pro 3 (wifi) which is what this is, that file does nothing when I select it, when option clicking on Check for Update and selecting it.

When I check on the IPSW site and put in the Model number A1876, that site brings up a different IPSW, the Ipad Pro 3 (Wifi, 1TB model) but this is only 64GB model. so, I am concerned to try THAT IPSW. Also, my model is Ipad8,5, and that model (the 1TB model) shows ipad8,6

High Sierra and iTunes might be the reason as downgrade works best rn in Monterey (maybe with xcode beta).

As for model, keep in mind storage capacity doesn’t matter. As long as descriptive string of that ipsw (iPad pro 11” cellular for example) matches the iPad you have its all good. Or just think it this way: why Apple offers different iOS version for different storage model of the otherwise same product if there is enough space to store the installed iOS system files anyway?

Plist trick may still be required for “lossless” data transfer, especially for older version of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.