Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
So, I’ve an XS, my only chance to use iOS 15 is to dfu the 15.6 rc then use the delayed ota profile to have 15.7.1 I guess? I’m using latest 16.3 now, but it’s choppy and battery’s a joke :/

It worked perfectly. I’m on 15.7.2 on my iPhone XS.
Didn't you say in your previous post that you've updated to 15.7.2?

If you haven't, staying on iOS 16.3 gives you the best security fixes.

But yes, you can get 15.7.1 with the delayed OTA + supervised mode.

Reactions: kayuz6

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
you are right. Unfortunately I couldn’t resist to try 16.3 (not that was an exiting update in the first place) and so I loose 15.7.2. No problem, I see iOS 15 as a temporary fix, so having 15.7.1 is better then 15.6 rc for sure

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
you are right. Unfortunately I couldn’t resist to try 16.3 (not that was an exiting update in the first place) and so I loose 15.7.2. No problem, I see iOS 15 as a temporary fix, so having 15.7.1 is better then 15.6 rc for sure
Security-wise, 15.7.1 sucks, certainly better than 15.6 RC, but it's not a release worth sticking with for long.

I would suggest you to upgrade to 16.3 and wait for the next 16 release.

Usually everything is ok after 16.5.

About the battery, I noticed that people rated 15.7.2 better than 15.7.1. However, I did not observe a difference.

Reactions: kayuz6

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
Security-wise, 15.7.1 sucks, certainly better than 15.6 RC, but it's not a release worth sticking with for long.

I would suggest you to upgrade to 16.3 and wait for the next 16 release.

Usually everything is ok after 16.5.

About the battery, I noticed that people rated 15.7.2 better than 15.7.1. However, I did not observe a difference.
I am crazy surely, but for me 15.6 has better battery then all the other 😅 I am using 16.3 but you know, it easily get hot and it’s weird since it’s winter

Reactions: DuckMe

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Booked an out of warranty mail in battery replacement with apple last week for my 13 Pro on 15.7.2. The 🤡's that apple employ must have booked it in as something else because I received my iPhone back today with 16.3.1 and a note that the repair centre couldn't find any fault with the battery.

Restored the phone to 15.6 RC, then put it in supervised mode with iMaazing. Set the delayconfig profile to 70 days. Turned off the setting to set time/date automatically is settings -> general -> time/date, then set phone date to January 28 and turned off WiFi/mobile data. The iOS 15 beta profile installed without any issue. Installed the delayconfig profile and went to software update to be greeted with 15.7.2. It went through the motions of downloading, verifying and then successfully updated to iOS 15.7.2.

tl;dr, turn off auto time/date to bypass the expiry of the beta profile @DuckMe update post #1

Reading 16.3.1 patch notes doesn't fill me with great confidence on sticking with iOS 15. I think we will all need to consider updating soon given the vulnerabilities that apple have been patching recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: maryland and DuckMe

maryland

Suspended
Aug 24, 2022
Restored the phone to 15.6 RC, then put it in supervised mode with iMaazing. Set the delayconfig profile to 70 days. Turned off the setting to set time/date automatically is settings -> general -> time/date, then set phone date to January 28 and turned off WiFi/mobile data. The iOS 15 beta profile installed without any issue. Installed the delayconfig profile and went to software update to be greeted with 15.7.2. It went through the motions of downloading, verifying and then successfully updated to iOS 15.7.2.
THANK YOU! I was on iOS 15.7.2 before but decided to jump to 16.3.1 because of reasons. Sadly there was a number of visual bugs/design choices on that version I couldn’t stand. Like the shadows behind app names on a light background… urgh

I went back to 15.7.1 via 15.6 RC thinking that was my only option. Now I found and followed your steps and my iPhone XR is back on 15.7.2!

EDIT: To clarify, I used Apple Configurator instead of iMazing

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Booked an out of warranty mail in battery replacement with apple last week for my 13 Pro on 15.7.2. The 🤡's that apple employ must have booked it in as something else because I received my iPhone back today with 16.3.1 and a note that the repair centre couldn't find any fault with the battery.

tl;dr, turn off auto time/date to bypass the expiry of the beta profile @DuckMe update post #1

Reading 16.3.1 patch notes doesn't fill me with great confidence on sticking with iOS 15. I think we will all need to consider updating soon given the vulnerabilities that apple have been patching recently.
So you mean, you adjust the system time to before January 31st, and then it will allow you to install the beta profile? wow!

Since everything (profiles) seems to be verified locally, it sounds like it might actually work, thanks for the method and testing, I'll update that to the guide shortly.

Thanks for bringing this guide back to life.

Updated, it looks like we can use this method until March 12th (maximum days allowed for delayed OTA).

BTW, you and everyone can edit this guide directly, it's a wiki and any registered forum user can edit it.

Please feel free to edit it if there are new developments in the future.

Last edited:

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
I just looked at Apple's security page and it looks like CVE-2023-23529 is a serious WebKit zero-day vulnerability.

But it's worth pointing out that just because the vulnerability appears on top of iOS 16 doesn't mean it exists on top of iOS 15, and we'll need to see if Apple releases iOS 15.7.4.

However, looking at their response to the zero-day vulnerability CVE-2022-42856 that treats the same threat, Apple first fixed it in iOS 16.1.2 released on November 31, 2022, then in iOS 15.7.2 on December 13, 2022, and finally fixed it in iOS 12.5.7 on January 23, 2023.

So Apple did not pay active attention to those older versions.

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
So the saga continues. I had my iPhone taken in for battery replacement today at an Apple store and it came out like it had been in a battle. Scuffs on the top of the screen and a deep scratch on the bezel when I have kept the phone in pristine condition with a cover and screen protector since day 0.

Hoping they can get this sorted sharp, preferably before March 12 🤬

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Apple swapped out the phone 🤗 finally back with a working phone. The new phone came with 16.2. Along with USB disconnect issues my PC has, iTunes restore to 15.6 RC failed a 3 times and the phone went into DFU mode. Perhaps I was doing the restore wrong in iTunes, I was shift clicking update instead of restore. Finally got it to downgrade to 15.6 RC and then updated it to 15.7.2

• Love
Reactions: DuckMe and maryland

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
15.6 RC is no longer signed so this guide will no longer work :(
No, this just doesn't make it possible for those not in the correct range to get iOS 15.7.2.

For between 14.5-15.7.1, they can still upgrade to 15.7.2 through this guide.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder though, I'll update this guide to make this clear.

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hey guys, can you test it for me?

Apple appears to have made some strange changes for users of iOS 15.7.2.

Starting with the iPhone XR/XS generation, iOS can handle dictation offline, a speech-to-text technology.

I used it with no problems until a few days ago when I found out that dictation no longer works on iOS 15.7.2, the system will download offline files for dictation, but dictation will not work.

I have confirmed this issue on 3 iPhones with iOS 15.7.2.

For testing, Go to Settings > General > Keyboard, then Turn on Enable Dictation. After opening for the first time, the system will download the files for offline input.

Once the download is complete, you can turn off the network (wifi and data) and try speaking some text using the keyboard's microphone and see if it works.

It's also possible that it works for a few hours, but after a few hours (or after restarting the iphone) the keyboard doesn't even show the microphone icon anymore with the network off.

Can you confirm that?

PS:
The microphone to the right of the search bar is not the same as the microphone at the bottom right of the keyboard.
Dictation for the search bar will always be online and send the voice to Apple.
Dictation in the bottom right of the keyboard will only transcribe speech on the iPhone.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

I’m running iOS 12 on my iPhone Xʀ and my battery is fine (and will probably be fine for a very long time, considering my nearly 7-year-old iPhone 6s on iOS 10 is fine with the original battery), but as a mere theoretical exercise, imagine if I were to send it in and they were to return it with iOS 16! I’d probably request an iPhone 13 replacement, at least. I’m guessing you can’t ask them to respect the iOS version that is installed on the device?

RetiredDinosaur

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
@DuckMe dictation works fine here both offline and online

@FeliApple I think updating the device os is part of any diagnostics/repair they carry out however my rant was more that they returned the device back with a note that they were unable to replicate the battery problem I was having when I had booked it in for an out of warranty battery replacement

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
@DuckMe dictation works fine here both offline and online
Thanks for testing, have you tried restarting your phone?

Even if mine works for a while, it will fail after restarting the phone, and I have to turn off dictation and turn it back on to make it work again offline for a while.

Yes, it always works online, it just doesn't work offline.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
So 15.7.4 is out with a lot of security fixes...will this method work for devices on 15.7.2 upgrade to 15.7.4?

DuckMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
So 15.7.4 is out with a lot of security fixes...will this method work for devices on 15.7.2 upgrade to 15.7.4?

This guidance is officially out of support, as iOS 15.7.4 released not long ago confirmed that the zero-day vulnerability (CVE-2023-23529) affecting iOS 16 also affects versions prior to iOS 15.7.4.

Since the latest iOS 15 version out there is 15.7.2 for these iPhones, updating to iOS 16 is the safest solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.