Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamiet147

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Basically... I have a XServe and 6 iMacs.

Are there any step by step guides for beginners that you can recommend?

The end result I'm looking for is a open directory with file sharing.

any help, guidance or tips would be appreciated!
Thanks Jamie

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Unfortunatly there really isn't any type of step by step guide for setting up an Xserve since there is so many diiferent ways you can depending on your needs. I would recommend this book. It does a good job of covering the main features of 10.5 server and shows basic setup examples. You won't be using all the options but is a good intro. It can be dry reading but does cover things in some detail. There were several good books on setting up 10.4 server but they aren't really applicable to 10.5 since the server application was changed in the newer os.

Also check out the Apple discussion boards for OSX server.(here)You can find answers to things you might not find covered else where. I have searched there more than once to find out how to fix bugs in my setup.

My advice is trial and error. I reinstalled 10.5 server on my Xserve several times on a second drive while still running 10.4 server. It allowed me to try several install options and learn the changes and to find out which configuration worked best for my setup.(ended up using the 'advanced' option on the install config) Good luck.

johnny_b

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2003
Norway
A tip is to make sure your DNS works before promoting the server til Open Directory Master which you probably would want to do if you are having a lab. If you don't have a DNS server you should set up DNS on Mac OS X Server before doing anything else. Without a DNS server things will be very buggy.

jamiet147

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks everyone!

I have managed to get it set up!

for anyone else who is planning on using the lynda guides I found a link that will give you a weeks free usage! www.lynda.com/deke

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.