Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
Background: Have spent absolutely ages playing Eve with mac, virtually no issues over more than a decade (2004-2016) and want to trying something fresh... something to kindle some interest again so I downloaded the Guild Wars 2.

Same day (or rather evening) after starting and playing the game i had two system crashes. At first i didn't associate it with GW2 but a couple of days in I can see clear correlation. Essentially CPU goes mad (All 6 if my Xeon's cors flat line, the screen freezes and about 30 seconds later i'm left at the system crash screen waiting for a keystroke to restart).

Admittedly it's flagged as a beta, but most games seem to never pass the beta stage (e.g. frequent/common development practices seem to allow games and other apps to go public at beta and never get finalised whilst the cash cow is milked) and i'm playing FTP (am not going to invest in a full game licence if it's foul to play.

Wondering if anyone has any success resolving this? I've checked the game forums - a few reported instances, a nonchalant response or two/three from game admins/whatever saying things like 'need to wait for new mac client', 'check for overheating', 'run in windows'. Things like different memory settings, updating graphics drivers, mouse drivers/whatever.

Am not keen on running bootcamp, twofold - paying for vmware/windows licence and switching to a windows desktop for other apps i run concurrently is not appetising (if I wanted to go down that road I would have bought a windows desktop to start with).

My Machine Specs:

Late 2013 Mac Pro
6 Core Xeon
16GB Memory
2 * AMD D700 GPU
512GB SSD
2 * 27" Apple Displays

Was playing game in windowed mode approx 2048*1600 rez (cant remember exact window sizing)

TIA

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Admittedly it's flagged as a beta, …
After five years, the Mac client is still in beta? NCSoft certainly doesn't really to care much about the Mac version. And as GW2 is a Cider "port", and Transgaming (the developers of Cider) are essentially out of business, I wouldn't expect any improvements.

…but most games seem to never pass the beta stage (e.g. frequent/common development practices seem to allow games and other apps to go public at beta and never get finalised whilst the cash cow is milked)…
Not true. Early Access has surely spoilt that track record, but the vast majority of games absolutely leave the beta stage. Just like the Windows client of GW2 did.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
It has been in beta so long, I would probably switch to the Windows version under bootcamp.

Thanks, it that's the only viable approach I'll prob play something else (I typically have browsers, video streaming, other 'things' running so it would require a complete desktop migration :\).

Fortunately I've not invested much (time or money) so far.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 has a native testing client now. It's improving rapidly so if you are still using the Cider client it may be worth trying the new native testing client.

rraven

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I used the Cider client for a couple of months and occasionally saw kernel panics. I had other issues with my hardware during this period, but the panics continued after they were fixed. I eventually isolated the GW2 Cider client as the likely cause.

I switched to the native testing client shortly after it came out and the panics disappeared. So I'd recommend it on that basis alone. Graphics seem a bit better with the native client (especially the vividness of the colors). On the other hand, frame rates on older hardware like my late 2013 MBP (GeForce GT 750M) are currently disappointing, some of the configuration options in the Cider client are currently not supported in the native client, and there are occasionally issues with ghosting and other graphical glitches. The native client had been showing steady improvement though.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I used the Cider client for a couple of months and occasionally saw kernel panics. I had other issues with my hardware during this period, but the panics continued after they were fixed. I eventually isolated the GW2 Cider client as the likely cause.

Thanks, to be honest I moved on. Currently playing ESO, for which the only issue I have is the weekly patch which takes out my Monday evening hopes of playing (I guess regardless what TZ they apply it will be painful for somewhere in the world).

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 has a native testing client now. It's improving rapidly so if you are still using the Cider client it may be worth trying the new native testing client.

Amazing news! The old GW2 client was becoming progressively more crash prone and often brought my 2011 iMac down in a kernel panic. I was in the process of looking for a new game when I found this tip, and so far the native client has been crash free. My character once glitched into rendering as if stealthed for several minutes but no crashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.