Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone been able to find Guitar Hero? Is it not out for the Apple TV yet? I sent to go buy it but I don't think it is out yet (the app).

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I do not believe that it is available yet. Online it just says it's coming this fall.

Will the Apple TV require a separate purchase from the iOS app? Or does the iOS license carry over to the Apple TV?

Also, does the Apple TV use the iOS guitars (Bluetooth)? Or does it use the console guitars (Wi-Fi)?

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
I would think more people would have this question...I actually can't find any information, anywhere about when or if Guitar Hero Live will be available or in what form? It was going to be a day one release so I don't get it? Has anyone been able to find anything anywhere?

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
Or if you type in your code that comes with the iOS guitar pack does it somehow just produce a download for the Apple TV?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I have so many questions about the iOS/Apple TV versions and can't find any answers. It's crazy how little information they have provided.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
My biggest Guitar Hero question is how is one going to play their game with the Siri remote?? Apple said all games must be able to controlled with the Siri remote, but all the promotional images/videos of the Guitar Hero Apple TV games show them with a guitar controller.

This is another reason why Apple should get rid of the rule that all games need to work with the Siri remote.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
A rep at the Apple Store yesterday told me that it's up to the developers to allow app purchases to carry over from iOS to tvOS. On the new Apple TV, you can "restore purchases" and that will pull in the purchases that apply. How I understand it, if the dev creates a new version of their app it will not apply. However, if they update their app with tvOS support, it will. Hopefully Activision has done the latter.

Activision support got back to me on Twitter and told me that "Guitar Hero Live will be supported on Apple TV via BlueTooth" so the iOS guitars will indeed work.

On a similar note, I ended up purchasing the iOS bundle last night at a T-Mobile store. They were surprised when I asked for it by name, as I guess not many people (if any) have stopped by to purchase it. I bought one of two that they had in stock.

Last edited:

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
I hope we get an answer to this soon...I don't want to stream from my iPhone to play this game...I was thinking it would come out. I am extremely disappointed that no one seems to be responding either on here, on apple forums, or on the Guitar Hero forums from any of those companies

Reactions: billchase2

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
Just found this on the guitar hero website forums (reply from a moderator).

Hey there.

Thanks for posting to our forums. Currently, the only information we have available regarding Apple TV can be found in the blog post found here: Activision | Games Blog

We assure you once more official information has been made available it will be posted.

Thanks for your support. We truly appreciate it.

^KJ

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Just found this on the guitar hero website forums (reply from a moderator).

Hey there.

Thanks for posting to our forums. Currently, the only information we have available regarding Apple TV can be found in the blog post found here: Activision | Games Blog

We assure you once more official information has been made available it will be posted.

Thanks for your support. We truly appreciate it.

^KJ
And the blog post has no additional details from anywhere else, unfortunately. Looks like it's a waiting game, as everything simply says that it is coming "this fall."

Reactions: BPMCH02

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Has anyone been able to AirPlay Guitar Hero Live to their Apple TV? I've read online (in multiple place) that this is supposed to be a feature, but I do not see the AirPlay button on either my iPhone or iPad.

dedufour41

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2015
New York
This entire Guitar Hero Live/iOS/Apple TV App scenario is a joke. Nobody knows anything about it apparently. Activison actually told me they "have no idea" when the Apple TV app will be launched even though they are the developers.

Apple says they don't know when or IF Activision will release anything further, but both told me to use AirPlay.

We did last night. For about an hour... And while it was fun to play and was pretty good most of the time. There were a few instances where there was unexpected lag in the notes, one time where the sound became muffled and we had to shut down the app and start over, and then another time where the App just crashed on its own.

While these were annoying. They were only for a short few moments and we still had fun.

However, there is no excuse for the Apple TV app not to be available yet. This is probably why there is hardly any hub bub or buzz about the iOS version of the game. A week ago people at Best Buy actually weren't aware it existed and their company sold it online only.

I told Activision this was definitely disappointing and hoped they would "KNOW" something soon!

@@

dedufour41

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2015
New York
Has anyone been able to AirPlay Guitar Hero Live to their Apple TV? I've read online (in multiple place) that this is supposed to be a feature, but I do not see the AirPlay button on either my iPhone or iPad.

Open the Guitar Hero App on the devise and wait for it to startup... Then scroll up to your control panel and click on your button to switch to Apple TV. Worked perfectly for us. Well... Near perfectly.

@@

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Open the Guitar Hero App on the devise and wait for it to startup... Then scroll up to your control panel and click on your button to switch to Apple TV. Worked perfectly for us. Well... Near perfectly.

@@
Ohhhh It's in Control Center. I've only used AirPlay with videos/audio and didn't think about activating it there. Thanks!

Last edited:

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
The tvOS app has been out for a couple of days now. Anybody get hold of a controller and try it out yet?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
So, doesn't this go against the rule that every game on Apple TV must be playable on the Siri Remote?

It says "Accessory Required".

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
So, doesn't this go against the rule that every game on Apple TV must be playable on the Siri Remote?

Well, the guitar is on sale for 99,95 euro in the (at least) Dutch Apple Store. However, no way I'm going to buy a plastic guitar just to play a game.

Anybody out there who tried it with this Bluetooth guitar ?

dedufour41

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2015
New York

It's probably the acception to the rule... Because Apple is receiving a cut of guitar and touch-based game sales.

The tvOS app has been out for a couple of days now. Anybody get hold of a controller and try it out yet?

Finally got time to play last night. Played for almost two hours and I have to say I was completely satisfied with the experience. It was day and night better than just simply AirPlaying the game through an iPad/iPhone.

The picture quality and gameplay was noticeably better. Smooth and accurate timing. Felt like what it was like when first guitar hero was released.

Two thumbs way up!!

Love the new guitar btw.

@@

Reactions: JamerG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.