Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heskeyowen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Hello, I am considering purchasing one of these, has anyone got any experience of using one?
Will be using with garageband and Logic Express on a G4 ibook.
Thanks

jpalm77

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2006
South Africa
GuitarPlug

I have the GuitarPlug!

I'm not a technical expert or professional at all, so bear with me here . . .

'GuitarPlug' is a bit of a mixed bag, really . . .

Firstly, there is absolutely no technical support for it what-so-ever!!!
But, it's a pretty straight forward piece of hardware, after-all ;)

I've found that it's FAR better than just plugging your guitar/amp directly into the built-in mic on my G4 tower (MUCH less hissing or noise).
However, mine seems to pick up on some sort of fan noise in my setup (which is generally soft, but can be amplified exponentially if i add high gain or distortion effects). From what i've read around the web, this could be any one of the following reasons:

1. Computer's power supply feedback problem.
2. Computer's power cable earthing problem.
3. A USB cable shielding problem.
4. A shielding problem with the GuitarPlug itself.
5. All of the above!!!
6. Non of the above ;)

The other problem i've suffered from is a latency issue in 'GarageBand' & 'Logic'. When you start to lay on a bunch of effects a delay can start to build-up between when you hit a note and when you hear the result :(
This, however, MAY be an issue with the CPU draining potential of these two apps and the additional plug-ins, because i've never had this problem when running an app like 'NI GuitarRig v2' in standalone mode!

Another thing to watch out for is a USB audio input/output setup issue that arises with most apps that can't natively select USB as the input and something else (eg. built-in speakers) as the output.
'GarageBand' is one of the clever few that doesn't have this problem, but 'Logic', 'NI GuitarRig' and a bunch of others require some simple tweaking with Apple's 'Audio MIDI Setup.app'. PM me if you need help here :)
This is not only a 'GuitarPlug' issue, but an issue with the software and other USB devices that don't include an output option. Apps like 'Logic' just prefer to send the output signal to the same device that it receives an input signal from (and 'GuitarPlug' doesn't have an output jack!)

So, to sum it up:
If you want to get a basic guitar signal into your computer, 'GuitarPlug' is a cheap, simple and blunt tool that gets the job done. It does have a couple of drawbacks, but it's a pretty neat little sucker ;)
Alternatively, you might want to check out the 'Griffin iMic' or the 'M-Audio Fast Track USB', but if sound quality and monitoring of serious multiple effects are what you're after, you're gonna have to fork out some extra cash for the alternatives, like an 'M-Box' or 'NI GuitarRig with RigKontrol' :(

Hope this helps . . .

C ya . . .

heskeyowen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
many thanks

Thanks so much, been searching the internet for a customer review of one of these for ages. I think for the price I will give it a go - thanks again you've been a great help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.