Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonny81b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2019
Has anyone used either or both of these apps? Trying to decide which has the best integration with the series 4 watch. Thanks for your input!!

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I demoed gymatic long ago when it was named something else; I wanted the automatic rep counter feature; but it never really worked. So that may have improved over the past 2 years. I used Gymaholic for tracking weigh lifting though a lot. I demoed lots of other apps and I did think gymaholic was the best overall. It is useful if you have set workouts you repeat and you want to use your watch to time the rest, and you want to keep a log of your workout day to day. Completing sets and and exercise using the watch is pretty good. There are lots of other features on Gymaholic that I never used, and in the end, I don't really need that much tracking so I have gone away from using. But I like the rest timing, so may still use it.

For automated rep counting I have an app Fit counter. that feature is the only thing it does. It does work, sort of or some of the time, so I would not say it is a super reliable. I am using it just for tracking kettlebell movements, which should be really distinctive, but it seems very sensitive to when you start the first rep. So if you time the first rep perfectly, it will count accurately, if you miss the countdown and start early or later, it gets confused and will count randomly or not at all.

CRaSHeR36

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I've only used and continue to use Gymaholic. I can echo what michaelb5000 has said above - it's great for lifting, tracking weights, reps, etc. Also allows to customize rest times, create super and giant sets, and create your own workouts and exercises (if they are missing from the database).
Love using this with the Apple Watch and my AirPods. No wires, paper, or pen :)

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I use Gymaholic. Works especially great with the Apple Watch. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it’s great. It’s only because there are so many options in the settings.

Only problem I’m having is it’s not backing up and syncing to my iCloud across my devices. Last sync was Dec 23, 2018. Tried emailing the company with no answer yet. It’s only been 2 days though. In the meantime, I have to save the file to my files app and then download it to my iPads from there. Gets annoying to do every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.