Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjffpp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Montréal
Hello,
Longtime reader, first post here.

Niche question! I’m sure the answer is no, but please think about it for a second :)

I’ve been wondering for years: is it possible to edit the default formatting in Mail? I hate the way Mail formats bulleted lists and I’d like to change that. Can we modify this using the Terminal or something?

I know I’m super picky. It’s a silly pet peeve of mine. But still, if you have an idea, please share

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't use Mail on macOS, but have you tried copying/pasting a bulleted list from another program that does format them the way you like, to see if Mail retains the source formatting? Also, knowing precisely what you don't like about the way Mail does it might help us find you a better solution.

jjffpp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Montréal
Thanks guys. Here's a little screenshot to help you understand what I'd like to achieve.

No block indent
Long dashes instead of bullets
Still keep the second line indent

PastedGraphic-11.png

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What Mail (as well as most email clients, word processing applications and so on) uses is standard HTML code for an unordered list. Any deviation from that you'll have to do manually.

Reactions: jjffpp

jjffpp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Montréal
What Mail (as well as most email clients, word processing applications and so on) uses is standard HTML code for an unordered list. Any deviation from that you'll have to do manually.

Oh I see. Thanks so much Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.