Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exidor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I have posted this question at awkwardtv.org but no one was able to help, so I thought I'd try here. I have a hacked AppleTV running Take 2 and I have ATV Files and Perian installed. ATV Files will play most of my vids but it won't play any encoded with the Sorenson Video 3 codec. It used to back in the 1.1 days, though. I am wondering what has changed and if there is a codec I can drop in somewhere or something else I can do to get it to work again. A lot of the video that I watch is encoded with Sorenson 3 and I would like to avoid converting it all.

BTW, NitoTV will play these files, but it's so wonky that I prefer using ATV Files if I can get it to work.

Thanks

Exidor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, my mac plays them fine. Sorenson used to be a pretty big deal with QuickTime back before h.264 kind of took over. Some people still use it though.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Yeah, my mac plays them fine. Sorenson used to be a pretty big deal with QuickTime back before h.264 kind of took over. Some people still use it though.

did you try copying over the codecs from your mac to the respective ATV folder?

Exidor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Yes, I did try that, but I'm not 100% sure I did it right. Plus, I'm using a G5 and I don't know if there's a difference between it's codecs and the codecs for an Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.