Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4ndr3w

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Chicago
I want to hack my iPhone, but am worried about having to bring it to Apple for repair after hacking it. I am not worried about the hacking bricking it, but the up volume button on the side of the phone is stuck, and I need to bring it to an Apple store when I have a chance. All I want to do is install Installer.app, and a few apps, nothing major like unlocking it. After hacking it, can I do a full restore in iTunes, and make it look like it did day 1? Will Apple be able to tell I hacked it? I don't mind having to do a full restore before I bring it in for service.

-andrew

dakooga

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
Yes you can do a full restore and Apple will never know the difference

I've done the same thing as I wanted to see the different sim tools in operation so I restored each time. It's a bit of a pain because it then needs to reactivate each time but it's definitely a clean flash wiping out anything you previously had on the iphone.

~ kooga

I should that I read elsewhere to do a complete wipe you need to reset the baseband which is *apparently* not reset during a normal restore. The author claims it leads to a need to reactivate the phone etc etc... oddly though I needed to do that when I did a restore too so don't rely on my comments above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.