Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Hey anyone :) i have this question about my iphone 3g at&t phone.

I that i got cheap on t
he internet 3 days ago it came with a broken screen . so i fixed it and turned it on to see it was in the itunes screen. it has ios 3.1.3 if that matters.

and att isn,t in my area (denmark) :mad:

BTW i just wanna use it as an ipod but WONT upgrade to ios4 as i hear it is slow.

so i need help about how to hacktivate ios 3.1.3 thx for reading;)

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
BTW i just wanna use it as an ipod but WONT upgrade to ios4 as i hear it is slow.

My old iPhone 3G is running completely fine with iOS 4.2.1. There isn't much of a speed difference between 4.2.1 and 3.1.3. Yes it's still slow, but it doesn't compare at all with the newer iPhones anyway.

I'm not sure why you need to hacktivate it. You should be able to unlock an iPhone that old for free by its former carrier if it isn't unlocked already, so you should be able to activate it with iTunes without any problems.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
well i dont like ios4. and at&t aren,t in denmark so getting it unlocked isn,t pobsibble either :(

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
well i dont like ios4. and at&t aren,t in denmark so getting it unlocked isn,t pobsibble either :(

Are you sure it isn't unlocked already? If not... Hmm, do you have relatives or friends that live near an AT&T shop? If so, just sent the iPhone to them. Another option would be to go to a local carrier and ask them for help.

Sorry, but I don't have any experience in hackivating iOS. I would avoid it if you can and keep it as the very last option.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
If you're only going to use your iP3G as an iPod why the concern over the firmware?
Both 3.1.3 and 4.2.1 run an iPod about the same.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Well i wanna use the web browser as well :)

And no it isn,t unlocked i tried to put a sim card in it and it said

"The inserted sim card isn't compatible" and i dont know anyone near a at&t store.

and i dont want a slow iphone so why not hacktivate 3.1.3?

Am very new to apple products this iphone is my first IOS device LOL?

Thx for reading

:)

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
I got it working :)

Its is working :) just had to upgrade to 4.0 :( but it is working now but how do i use app store it says that i need to update but my iphone is up to date "atleast thats what itunes say?"

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Its is working :) just had to upgrade to 4.0 :( but it is working now but how do i use app store it says that i need to update but my iphone is up to date "atleast thats what itunes say?"

Are you sure it's 4.0 instead of 4.2.1? (Which I seriously doubt) Is the App Store itself not working or are the apps not compatible? The later is completely normal, the iPhone 3G isn't supported anymore. You can only download very old versions of an app if they are available.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Your, "BTW I just want to use it as an iPod" comment threw me off.

As a web browser you will have as much success with 4.2.1 as you would 3.1.3.
Really, it's the WIFI on these older iPhones that will slow you down, more so than the firmware itself.

DrunkinMacbook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
sorry for me being inactive :(

Hey the apps aren,t compatible :(

and my 4.0 web browser works perfect :)

and itunes and settings says 4.0 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.