Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themagicman00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Had enough problems with activating this iPhone... not only I spent 9 hours waiting for the phone, but I left the store without an activated phone and when I tried numerous times I decided I had it with Apple and ATT. This draconium style customer service reminds me of Microsoft. If your happy with your 2G phone, keep it! First thing tomorrow morning, they can increase their stock by one phone, cause I am returning an un-activated phone, so they better don't even try to charge me an activation fee/charge.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Had enough problems with activating this iPhone... not only I spent 9 hours waiting for the phone, but I left the store without an activated phone and when I tried numerous times I decided I had it with Apple and ATT. This draconium style customer service reminds me of Microsoft. If your happy with your 2G phone, keep it! First thing tomorrow morning, they can increase their stock by one phone, cause I am returning an un-activated phone, so they better don't even try to charge me an activation fee/charge.
You can send it my way because I spent many hours their only for them to run out of phones.;)

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
So you'll be returning one of the best mobile phones on the market that you've been waiting a long time for just because the iTunes server temporarilly crashed?

Over-react much? :confused:

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
So you'll be returning one of the best mobile phones on the market that you've been waiting a long time for just because the iTunes server temporarilly crashed?

Over-react much? :confused:

I'm convinced that as Apple products become popular people buy them and act like the old stereotype of an Apple use. The melodrama on these forums becomes unbearable as some new user determines that Apple is slighting them, their city, region, or hair color.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I'm convinced that as Apple products become popular people buy them and act like the old stereotype of an Apple use. The melodrama on these forums becomes unbearable as some new user determines that Apple is slighting them, their city, region, or hair color.

I agree. I haven't posted much lately because its hard not to get dragged into some disagreement with an idiot on the other end.

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Tell me about it. My 2 favorites so are:

1) A user bashing Apple on here and several other forums claiming that Apple is missing it big by not supplying adequate units to the AT&T store in his hometown. I've read nearly identical posts on different forums from this tool.

2) A user explaining it is Apple's fault that AT&T decided to take their allotment and send X to certain stores.

themagicman00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
No one is bashing apple....

I am an apple user, I love their products and never had a problem with their service. I own a MacAir, Ipod 8GB, Ipod Touch 16GB, Macbook Pro 17" and an Imac 24". I will keep my Iphone 2G, just returned the 3G phone, this is simply a problem with ATT, all things being equal, I will wait until a better unit comes around, meanwhile.... I can take all the beatings for not supporting apple with this new product launching.

trojndds

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
I am an apple user, I love their products and never had a problem with their service. I own a MacAir, Ipod 8GB, Ipod Touch 16GB, Macbook Pro 17" and an Imac 24". I will keep my Iphone 2G, just returned the 3G phone, this is simply a problem with ATT, all things being equal, I will wait until a better unit comes around, meanwhile.... I can take all the beatings for not supporting apple with this new product launching.

I agree with you. I have been a loyal mac fan for years, back to the days of the G4 ibooks and the 2nd gen ipod and I'm kind of disappointed with the new 3G phone. Yesterday I was up til 2am pacific time trying to get AT&T to get my 3G service activated only to wake up this morning and realize that I only get 1 bar with 3G while my 2G iphone gets full bars in the same place.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
its opened so you'll get charged a 10% restocking fee....

and even with all the madness yesterday with itunes+ waiting for about 5 1/2-6hrs. it only took me about an hour to get it activated at home.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I agree with you. I have been a loyal mac fan for years, back to the days of the G4 ibooks and the 2nd gen ipod and I'm kind of disappointed with the new 3G phone. Yesterday I was up til 2am pacific time trying to get AT&T to get my 3G service activated only to wake up this morning and realize that I only get 1 bar with 3G while my 2G iphone gets full bars in the same place.

The signal strength bar issue came up with me as well. Try turning off 3G and see what happens to your signal strength. I'm willing to bet that the signal strength goes right back up to what your 1.0 phone was at. I'll also bet that all it is is that your 3g signal strength in that particular location is not the greatest. That's been my experience and I'm still perfectly happy with the phone since when I'm outside of my apartment, where I have wifi anyway, in a 3g area I get much better 3g reception.

I think all of these issues are a bummer, really, I do. But it's a small setback that will be corrected very soon. I think some people almost expect things to go too flawlessly and end up with too high of expectations. Again, just my opinion.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
OP,

Don't sweat it. I had the same issues you referred to, but my issue (outside of the yellow screen) is the fact that I cannot get 3G in my house...only Edge.

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007

Okay, there are some factors to consider here. I'm not discounting the fact that the 3G radio may suck in the iPhone, but let's think about a few things here.

1. The 3G signal may be coming from a different (further away) tower than your 2G iPhone. Normally, they do operate off the same towers, but it's not always the case.
2. Apple decided to be more conservative with 3G signal strength indicators. (If they're both running the same firmware, this may or may not be true.)
3. AT&T has so many licenses per area in which to operate. In some areas, they're operating 3G WCDMA on 1900 and moving 2G GSM to 850 networks. 850 penetrates buildings better than 1900.

You really can't compare "how many bars" one phone has to another. Even within manufacturers.

Most people are using their iPhones for two reasons:

A. Voice
B. Data

As long as the voice is clear and the data is fast, I don't see a problem. People are getting bent out of shape because "my original iPhone gets better bars" without looking at all of the factors at work.

I do know that the battery drains faster when there is a weaker signal on 3G because the radio has to work harder. That is a problem...

I've made several calls on my 3G iPhone and I've had a Samsung Blackjack and a Sync. 3G voice sounds much clearer and doesn't drop out as much in my experience*. Data is certainly faster and I can't argue with that. I'm happy with my iPhone and I do notice the signal indicator jumping around, but I'm going to stick it out. My iPhone works for what I want it to do. But if you don't like it, by all means, buy another phone.

*Note: Your mileage may vary. Based on my personal experience and is not meant to be the gospel.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow

sorry im confused...
why bother posting this for other poeple?

your overeaction is typical of the lowest part of the macrumors foodchain thesedays....if you havnt got anything constructive to spend time writing about, why dont you keep your energy for your drive back to the apple store..

that way we all win

there masses of people out there who are mature enough to wait it out a day or so...and to take it from you without this useless ranting

then in 2 days time we can listen to them and how much they are enjoying it, rather than others like yourself with more pointless threads..

rant over (for now)

themagicman00

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
just so you know, I returned the 3G iphone and was not charged a 10% re-stocking fee, plus I called ATT and they will canx the activation fee (BTW, the phone was never activated!, thanks ATT for waving the fee).
All in all, got old 2G iphone, with lots of games on it!!!

MattGTO

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas

If I had money, i would trade you my iPod Touch for it...lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.