Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
After some failed purchase attempts (Lloyds didn't know why it failed) here in the UK my bank account was blocked from logging in on the website and the app, so I had to phone Lloyds who put me through to OpenBanking where the issue was. Everything was cleared, but she said that there was a message saying that my iPhone may have been compromised, she said it happens sometimes if people try to adapt it to install android apps... something I have not done.

She didn't seem too worried about it, but any idea what this could be?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Highly unlikely your phone has been compromised. Were the failed transactions made by yourself or another party?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There is no way to “adapt” an iPhone to run Android apps, so who knows what the person on the phone was talking about.

Reactions: Ntombi

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
She just had absolutely no clue why the transaction failed so she made something up to deflect blame on you (well, your device in this case)

Yeah, it did sound odd. She knew the reason it failed. I regularly use an app to get money back on purchases by first buying a voucher and then spending that amount. You get a better percentage by using your bank instead of a credit card or ApplePay. It was the first time I was using this method of using the bank direct, and as it was a large amount (iPhone Pro and Case) it flagged it. I would have got 4.1% back by buying it from John Lewis which is a nice saving.

I last used it in John Lewis when buying an iPad Pro and it all worked, but that was through ApplePay - and a the time 5%

Reactions: TwitchyPuppy

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Highly unlikely your phone has been compromised. Were the failed transactions made by yourself or another party?
Made by me. An app I regularly use, but first time using Open Banking… details above :)

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
There is no way to “adapt” an iPhone to run Android apps, so who knows what the person on the phone was talking about.
I did wonder if it had to do with the passwords compromised messages that can happen on some websites.

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I had a similar situation where my CC kept getting locked and I would get locked out of the app to see what was going on. Called and they said "a device I used to log in to my acct had maleware" No idea which device but I only access from my iphone and work computer which both are updated regularly. To this day I still don't use the Citi app for fear it will happen again but I can log in from the safari browser...

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.